1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 700RB-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JohnLochner, Mar 20, 2009.

1. JohnLochner

JohnLochner

Feb 27, 2009
    I've played bass for some odd number of years now. Been through a lot of different rigs- Ampeg SVT-CL, Sunn stuff, Crate bass heads (this was back in the early 90s...), Peavey, SWR, etc. etc.. Most recently I've played through a Bass POD Pro->Mackie 1400i setup, and though it sounded alright, it felt terrible. It literally felt like I wasn't playing through a real amp, even though everyone complimented the bass tone I got.

These days I only have two basses, a G&L L2500 and a Dano Longhorn. Obviously, I use the G&L for 99.99% of everything, and only pull out the Dano when I want to look funny. :)

Most recently I've been using my GK 700RB-II, through an Avatar 210 NEO. And I can't say enough about how KILLER this little rig is.

When I first got the 700RB, I figured it would be hard to find my tone. It really was the opposite of that- I powered up, twisted a few knobs, and BAM, there's the tone I'm looking for. Phat, slightly ragged around the edges, but with definition and quickness. Not at all different from my days with an SVT... it's all in the amp. The coolest thing is that there are three different gain stages to optimize response. Between volume, boost, and master, you can get just about any amount of color you want- including none at all. Yeah, I was able to dial in that hi-fi 'contemporary adult jazz' sound that I abhor, but must use from time to time.

But the real rock n roll happens at high volumes. Master up at 12, boost around 2 o'clock, vol stays at about 10 o'clock. EQ flat, set hi mid to taste. Jam out your favorite Allen Woody or Flea riffs, and oooohhh yeah.

Anyway, just wanted to post some data about my experience. The GK sound is the sound I've always searched for- the amp is flexible, but most importantly it can ROCK when you need to rock.

2. rygon

rygon

Mar 1, 2009
    ive been considering this amp and you couldnt have said it better. this thing ROCKS.
    how does it do with the 210? does it push enough air to compete with a band?

3. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I have been using a 1001RB for over 8 years now. I've tested other amps, bought a couple new ones, returned them a couple of days later...I just keep going back to it. I use the different gain stages just as you do. I have also found that it is as much the cab that gives me the sound as the amp. I change around cabs for different sounds, and don't touch the EQ settings much. I haven't used the avatar that you are talking about, but one of my cabs are pretty similar. I bet it's a pretty portable rig for you.

I hear that the 700RB sounds even better than the 1001RB. I would love to find a combo 2x10 with the 700 or 1001. Keep your eye's open for me!
    Wes

4. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    The G.K. 700, 800, and 1001 heads are probably the best "all-round" heads ever....IMHO.
    My 800 is now 25-1/2 years old and still going strong! (Bought it new in "84".)
    The G.K. MB500....well....the jury's still out on that one!!!!

5. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender Supporting Member

My 1001RB-II still remains after going through a heap of other amps. It has the growl I like. I can't believe it when I hear some people describe the tone as sterile, that's what kept me away from these amps for years... until I finally played one.

6. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    The 700rbII is a great head. I run GK neo112 and 212 cabs, and with either cab or both, it sounds incredible. And it can punch through the mix like nothing else. I love how punchy it sounds, but still warm on the bottom.... the response is nice and fast.

I used the DI on it last week for the first time, and was thrilled with how quite it was. I'd heard stories about it being noisy, but that just wasn't the case. Normally, I use the di on my bassbone, which sounds killer as well, but the di on the head was sweet.... I ran both pre and post eq, and it's kinda nice getting the gk sound pumping through the FOH.

Ljazz

7. How's the 700RB-II at low volumes? I have a BL600 going through a GKNeo112 and love the sound, but the horn hiss is driving me nuts so I'm thinking about going to a bi-amp head. Just not sure how all of that power is going to work out for a rig that never leaves the house.

8. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I've had my 700RB-II for about 3 years now, and every time I play it thru my Aggie GS212, it still puts a smile on my face. A really great combo. I think there is no better amp at the GK price range, period. They truly are a bargain... and an absolute steal used.