1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gk 700rbii Usable Preamp Range

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by betardfoosier, Jun 28, 2012.

1. betardfoosier

betardfoosier

Feb 13, 2011
    Hey gang, im running my gk700rbii into a 90s svt810. I complain some about cutting through the mix, and some about a hollow, weak bottom end. What my question is, is how high can you run the preamp level before it becomes unusable? Anything above about 25% gets pretty overdriven on mine.

2. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    Have you tried reading your owner's manual for the recommended settings? If you have problems cutting through the mix with your setup, it's probably either user error or there may be something wrong with your cab. Are all the drivers in your cab in phase and working properly?

3. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    How high you can set the preamp level (labled "Volume") without distirtion depends on how hard you're hitting the input jack. Weak signal = higher setting / strong signal = lower setting.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Something isn't right - either your bass, the cab, or the amp... Granted, Ampeg 810s aren't known for tons of low end, but I've run a 700rb-II plenty of times thru one, and gotten enough low end out of them - and I like ALOT of low end...

I think you can see my settings in this pic - I'll typically run Gain @ 10 o'clock, Boost and Woofer@ 12 noon, and that's really thumpin:

G-Kspt2003.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Personally, I have always had trouble cutting through with an Ampeg 8x10 - regardless of my head or bass. Their, what I consider, muddy and unpronounced tone doesn't work well for me.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Try using the input pad, and turning it up more.

7. betardfoosier

betardfoosier

Feb 13, 2011
    Maybe my basses are too hot? They are running Model J's. If I hit a string hard, the clip light flashes.

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    This is why I suggested using the input pad.

9. betardfoosier

betardfoosier

Feb 13, 2011
    I can definitely get loud enough, but then I start to cover up guitars. When I get back to a reasonable volume, I just don't blend well.

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    That's a different issue than clipping and overdrive.

As far as eq settings, I'd recommend starting with contour off, presence at noon,
    all other eq at noon, except trim low bass a little
    boost at noon, and woofer at noon.
    the horn control won't matter in your case, as you're not using a GK biamp ready cab...which is a shame. They work supremely well with that head.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, too much Contour will make it difficult to hear yourself well enough in a band mix... I start my Contour out @ noon, then back it off 'til I cut as much as I want to...

- georgestrings

12. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I never use the contour....................

13. Working Bass

Working Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    Same here. Sounds ok to some solo, but all the mids are missing in a band setting.

14. I recommend starting with everything flat and then adding in some hi mid or low mid to cut through. The mids change everything.

15. betardfoosier

betardfoosier

Feb 13, 2011
    I think my complaint is when I run the head below 25%, maybe in my practice room i'm not pushing enough power to that cab to wake it up?

16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    unsub'd.

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I do, because my basses are mostly pretty mid range sounding to begin with - but I also make sure I add back in enough mids to get the job done in a band mix... I really don't like to be too prominent in my band's mix, and prefer to play more of a support role...

- georgestrings

18. betardfoosier

betardfoosier

Feb 13, 2011
    I dont use any contour. Its just a mid scoop isnt it?

19. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Yes pretty much... Sell your Peg and buy you a GK Neo Cab..... 212 or a 410..... You will never turn back...

20. betardfoosier

betardfoosier

Feb 13, 2011
    Man hitting that pad and rolling the pre up to 11 made a huge difference! Really woke the rig up. Before at 8, the rig was lifeless with no bottom end, and a very dead tone, now i get all the life i wanted with the eq neutral! Thanks guys!