1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Backline 600 Amp: 1 2x10 or 1 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jpowell, Sep 25, 2008.

1. jpowell

jpowell

Sep 15, 2008
    This is an entry level question. Will the 2x10 be enough for a small to medium club. Would a 4x10 make a lot of difference? I will be able to play myself in a week or so to form a first hand opinion perhaps. Is this the bigger the better IN THIS CASE? Will not be playing heavy metal, thrash or punk. Mainly R&B and R&R. Opinions? Thanks.

2. It may come down to space, what the other musicians are using, whether or not you are going through the house. I use a 4x10 with that head in a medium-sized church (about 800 people), but I don't go through the house, I play with a keyboardist who does and a drummer who is not miked at all. That said, if you can go with the 4x10.

More importantly, whichever you choose try to find one that is rated at 4 ohms so you can get the full 300 watts out of your amp. A single 8 ohm cab will only get 180 watts.

3. I played in a R&R cover band w/2 guitars playing through tube half stacks 4x12s and a solid hitting drummer w\full PA.

My rig at the time was a GK700RBII running an Avatar B210 NEO and GK NEO 112. It was plenty loud with tons of headroom. However, running the 2x10 by itself at rehearsals left me wanting (although the cab was only 8ohms), that's why I paired it with a 1x12.

As mentioned above a lot depends on the other instrumentation and whether you have PA or not.

+1, whatever you decide make sure the cab is 4ohms to get the max power from that head. unless you plan on going the mix and match cab route (i.e. 2 8ohm cabs).