1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Case/Bag

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Michael Karn, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    The GK carrying case/gig bag I bought when I got my mb150 is basically in tatters and I'd like to replace it. Anyone have a recommendation?

2. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I have never found anything that works as good as the one that GK sells. I believe they still sell them.

- Steve

3. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    Thanks Steve, that's the one I have, when I went to website it was listed as out of stock

4. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    There are a few for sale on Reverb dot com.

By the way, I enjoyed your work on John Pizzarelli's latest release. Are you still playing live shows with him?

- Steve

5. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    Thanks for the heads up

Thanks very much Steve, it was an easy and fun record to make, and getting to play, record and eventually tour with John, Daniel Jobim, Helio Alves and especially Duduka Da Fonseca (a bass players dream) was a tremendous experience. I am still playing with John, and will be for the foreseeable future. We were on the road all summer, and while the fall schedule is not as busy, it's still pretty busy. I have to say, in this day and age it's nice to have a steady gig, and in particular one where I can play exactly how I want for a guy who seems to appreciate what I do

Earl likes this.
  6. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I actually got to record with Duduka a few years ago (link). He's incredible. I've also played with a few of John's former sidemen including Harry Allen and the late Ray Kennedy when they were performing here in Florida.

I know Martin always used a mic on his bass when he toured with John. Are you doing the same?

- Steve

7. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    I never knew Ray, but I've played with Harry a lot through the years, always a great experience. And I'm using an amp with John, the mic-only thing doesn't work for me. Usually I have them mic the amp (so as to nix the direct box), that seems to work pretty well in the house, and it gives me control over my onstage sound and volume

Steve Boisen likes this.
  8. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    I saw him with Rufus Reid two years ago and sat just a few feet from him, closest to his snare and hi hat. Rufus was behind the beat and yelled at him to 'get with it'. I think Rufus wanted him to kick it more to have something to play against, like Dexter probably did to him.

Anyway, he just took it in stride. After the gig he told me how special it is to play with Rufus, especially when they lock up. Seemed like the kind of drummer that would be a joy.

The bag?? I found one for the apple SE with backpack straps which is a perfect fit and well padded. There were different sizes but they turn up on eBay regularly.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    If you don't find one, check in with Messina. They can make pretty much any kind of bag.

Michael Karn likes this.