1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Fusion 550 vs. Ampeg SVT7 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DubnBass, Dec 21, 2011.

1. DubnBass

DubnBass

Jul 25, 2010
    Chch NZ
    I'm coming over to the US on Boxing Day & won't have the chance to try out any heads. I've came down to these two due to the features & price. I'm after a couple of different types of sounds... A deep, reggae bass sound & of course, a slap-bass sound.
    Anyone with any experience of the two heads please feel free to chime in. All opinions appreciated!

Also, anyone who has had these shipped to them still have the box? I need dimensions as I'm bringing a head back on the plane.

2. DubnBass

DubnBass

Jul 25, 2010
    Chch NZ
    No one?:confused:

3. I Love the Fusion 550, but the Gallien Krueger 700RB II is my favourite, i use it EVERYWHERE. I prefer it to the Fusion 550 because I like the RB's contour controls more.

4. I don't have either and haven't seen their packaging, but I'm pretty sure the 7-PRO has smaller dimensions. 7-PRO being 2-rack space vs FUSION 3-rack space.

They sound different. The GK can hit that metallic grinds and Ampeg has that sweet mid punch. Both can do warm. Both can be punchy. Just different shades of awesome.

Personally would rather go 1001-ii RB vs 7-PRO due to size. Especially you're going to bring it on an airplane. It's easier to haul the 1001 vs FUSION. Unless you have a plan .....

ADD: Almost forgot, does FUSION have SMPS power supply? I know the 7-PRO has a switch for 110/230v.

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have no experience with the GK fusion but I do have the Ampeg 7 Pro and I can tell you that it is a very nice amp. If you like the Ampeg sound, you can easily get it with this amp.

6. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    Here you go my bass brother:

Ampeg svt-7 pro shipping box: 17 x 10.5 x 20 inches.

16 lbs of pure Ampeg goodness tone!

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own both of those heads, and either one will do what you are looking for (deep, reggae bass and also a good slap tone). In addition, the Fusion 550 will get you a harmonically enhanced version of the "GK tone" and the SVT-7Pro will get you the classic "Ampeg tone." I hate to use such vague terminology, but if you are familiar with the GK and Ampeg "house flavors," then you'll know what I am talking about.

One advantage of the Fusion 550 is that it has two automated channels, so you could go from reggae to slap tone at the flick of a switch or stomp of a button.

One advantage of the 7Pro is weight. Sure, it's heavier than some of the other flyweight micro heads which use class-D output sections and switch-mode power supplies (as the 7Pro does), but at just under 15 lbs, it's still a good bit lighter than the almost 30 lb class-G Fusion 550.

8. Tom, does the Fusion 550 has switching power supply? I noticed OP is from NZ and trying to buy an amp in US.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    No, it uses a conventional power supply. Please note, a switch-mode power supply (or SMPS) is a type of power supply topology. This is an entirely different subject than whether or not an amp has a user-selectable (or switchable) voltage option. In the case of the Fusion 550, though, I believe that the voltage option is not user-selectable, so I think you have to order the head in whatever voltage you will need. If you have occasion to play in both 110 and 220 volt environments, then the Fusion 550 may not be the ticket.

10. DubnBass

DubnBass

Jul 25, 2010
    Chch NZ
    Thanks for the replies! I've contacted the tech guy at GK & he confirmed for me that the Fusion 550 can be switched to 230V internally. I've currently got a GK Backline head & all that was required to change it was to put plugs inside amp onto the "230V" section on the power supply... I'd say the Fusion is the same deal...?

11. I always thought that SMPS automatically means there's a user selectable volt switch in the package. Thanks for info, Tom! :)

Since the GK tech guy says it's possible, then it's possible. I have no idea how to do that though. The online manual doesn't say definitively if it's possible or not to change the voltage by the user. If the Fusion 550 and Backline has the same power amp design, then it should be the same.

12. DubnBass

DubnBass

Jul 25, 2010
    Chch NZ
    They've both got toroidals so I'm thinking it is the same setup as my Backline 600... Maybe all GK amps use them?

13. G-K Fusion 550 22" wide X 15" deep X 10.25" high boxed. Weight I believe was 31lbs boxed?

14. DubnBass

DubnBass

Jul 25, 2010
    Chch NZ
    Just pulled the trigger on the GK Fusion 550... Aren't really a mids fan & having two channels which are footswitch select-able is a big draw-card for me!
    Can't wait to get it back to New Zealand! (After changing it over to 230V of course):hyper:

15. Congrats on the purchase! Please write a review of what you think of the Fusion in the future :)

16. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word

May 3, 2011
    connecticut
    Good choice!! I was in the same situation a few months ago. I ended up buying a used fusion 550 for $500. After A/bing both amps i just prefer the GK sound to any non (real) SVT ampeg amp. Plus GK customer service is great!!!

madjazzbass likes this.
  17. Good choice! Be ready to have to talk about it, so many tone options I always have someone ask me about mine. Truly an awesome amp head. :D
    I think I have the schematic somewhere or just email jason@gallien.com for one so a tech can do the voltage change for you.

18. DubnBass

DubnBass

Jul 25, 2010
    Chch NZ
    Got home yesterday & my number one priority was to try my new purchase out... Wow!:hyper:
    What a full sound! This fully met my expectations & maybe even a little more :).
    One concern though... Does anyone elses dials over-correct occasionally when switching between EQ presets?

19. Did it a couple times the first month, been faithful since then.

20. DubnBass

DubnBass

Jul 25, 2010
    Chch NZ
    It's only the high-mid that's been giving me grief... It goes to it's limit then keeps trying to turn, making a grinding sound :meh:.
    I've contacted GK about this.