Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Aug 2, 2005.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well earlier today, I was reading some GK owners manual's. I went and read through the 2001RB's manual, and for the life of me I just can't get how they explain hooking the speakers up to it.

I know if you use the RBH series cabs that you use a 4 conducctor speakon cable and switch the cabs to bi-amp. But everything else is a blur.

The reason I ask is because I'm having GK gas, maybe it's just a little fling but then again it could stick with me for a few months.

I've also debated on either getting the 1001-II or the 2001RB versus getting a kustom GB.

If someone can help me understand this more clearly I would appreciate it.

-Rob

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    This is no mystery, if you use the RBH cabs you can use the four conductor speakon cables to take advantage of the HMS or "horn management system" using the tweeter amp. If you don't use GK cabs then you can use standard 1/4 inch speaker jacks. The RBH cabs also have a setting on the back for full range or bi-amp, bi-amp is used for the HMS.

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    10-4 rubber duckie. And if your savvy about basic electronics, and feel up to pulling your speaker cabinet (Avatar) apart, you can rig your tweeter to your speakon input on terminals 2+ and 2- to take advantage of the horn output on the GK head. :D
    (when I spoke to Marc Serio of DrBass Speakers.com he was willing to wire my back panel that way for me before he shipped the cabinet. I'm sure Dave at avatar would do the same. It's no biggee) GK1001-II rocks.

4. You use the 4 pin speakon cable with a GK RBH, SBX or Neo series cabinet. If you are running two 8 ohm cabinets, set the 2001 to bridge mode and run both speakers from the L/BR output. If you are using two 4 ohm cabinets or four 4 or 8 ohm cabinets, run the amp in dual mono and split the speakers between the L and R output. The R output has an attenuator on the back to balance the sound between them. Run that all the way up unless you want less in the R output.