1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MB150E...shy on top end?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tornadobass, Oct 3, 2008.

1. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    As I learn more about my GK MB150E combo, it seems that the speaker is pretty shy on upper frequencies much above 1khz.

Is that the usual experience?

Through headphones, I get much more clarity and top end.

For my BugBass and American Standard/RSII setups, the shy top end is a good thing, but for electric I need to dial in more upper mids, treble and even the high boost to get a clear sound.

2. Yes.. that combo is all about the mids. It does a great job from the low mids through the upper mids, but not much true bass or treble.

3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Like about 200 hz to 1k?

4. That sounds pretty close to what I hear. I guess that's why many DBers like them.. the automatically control the boom and the click, and result in a nice punchy, warm, somewhat compressed tone that can be turned up quite loud and that sounds quite articulate out front. While I am an EB player (I'm over here to post up about the new TecAmp Puma that DBers might dig), I've heard DB's live through this nice little amp, and it sounds much better 'out front' than it probably does standing right on top of it. It has plenty of 'usable low end' if you like a very woody, articulate tone IMO.

5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I have a AI Clarus and a EA Wizzy 12. I still use my GK 150MBS for at least 50% of my gigs, maybe more. I like the sound and the portability can't be beat. I almost never need to do anything to the eq besides plug in.

Thing is boys, it's the notes you play not a tone difference between those rigs that only bass players can hear.

The achilles heal of the GK is the power. It starts to sound like crap (strained and electricy) when you turn up too much. That's when I break out the AI/EA rig but I need to use a Sansamp with that rig to get that amp to sound the way I like.