1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MB2-500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grumpy_dog666, Apr 15, 2010.

1. I will be heading down to my bass store to try this head tomorrow, but wanted to get some other opinions on it.

I've been looking at getting a different tone from my rig.

My past rig was a MarkBass LM2 through a 4x10 front ported MarkBass cab.

Swapped out the LM2 for a Shuttle 6.0. LM2 was a good head, but I felt the sound was a little too 'bland'.

Shuttle is an improvement but still looking for a more rock based tone. Will changing the head to the GK do this or am I getting let down in the cab department or elsewhere?

Not looking for a hugely overdriven tone, just a nice gritty bass tone, i'm thinking Tool - The Pot kinda bass sound.

Am I totally off?

2. Just put a clip up on a thread that is on the same page as this one, versus the F1 (which is brighter and tighter than your LMII, which is fat and smooth and warm and even IMO). The MB500 is a bright, grindy beast, with HUGE low end and a bit of scoop in the low mids (which you can dial back in) IMO, if you liked the Shuttle 6, you will LOVE the MB-500.

I would make sure to try it out though. The one I tried was VERY hissy/noisy.

Other than that, it is bright, sizzly, aggressive, grindy, and huge in the low end. It's the perfect micro IMO if you are using a cab without a tweeter and want some aggressive grind coming from the top end of the driver. VERY cool sounding.

If you can't find the thread, you can access the clip through the link in my sig below.

K

Edit: There are lots of fixes and updates to these (they had some issues). Make sure you get the most recent version, which I believe is called the MB500 (no 'squared').

3. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    GK's excell at rock tones, IMO. Been using my MB2-500 for 5-6 months straight now, and couldn't be happier. Very versatile, and can be nice and grindy when needed. Like KJung said though, be sure to try it before you buy it.

4. Saw that thread.......and the YouTube clip....

But its sometimes difficult to pick out the subtle differences in tomes sometimes.

That was my other question with all the 'revisions'......i've heard Rev07 is recent? not sure how quick things flow down under (Australia)

5. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I bought an MB500 ( they no longer call it an MB2-500) about 10 days ago. You can disengage/engage the G.I.V.E button on this amp and in conjunction with the EQ, you can get a "Virtual Plethora" of tones. Yes thats my new saying , and I use it alot. :hyper:

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    so a virtual plethora would be like a whole bunch but not so much ? I'm more a traditionalist when it come to colloquial epressions so I'll stick with 'Veritable Cornucopia' of sounds. ;~)

I'll bet that GK & Avatar setup sounds damned good. Out of all the cabinets I've run through, about the only one I really miss is my old SB112 neo.

7. I did the same; started with a LMII ~ EQ points weren't right for me
    Shuttle 6.0 ~ not enough 'girth',
    MB2-500 w/GB NeoX 212t ~ ROCK! ~ Girth, Balls, Grind & articulate

8. Hey bro, come to the Espy tonight and watch me use mine. I'll be playing your old Sterling too. We do heavy rock (rather like Tool) so come and sus mine out at a show and see if you dig it!!

Jono

9. I would but I gotta work

10. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    "Oh a PLETHORA"! You mean this?:

:D

Mike