1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MB200 or Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Little Rock, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Little Rock

Little Rock Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    Hello, TBers!

I have a budget of around U$200 to buy an used amp head, and i am having a real hard time to decide between the GK MB200 and the Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0.

I play mostly in the bedroom :))) and, in a near future, i may start playing in small environments.

In case You have experience with any of those or both, could You, please, share it with me?

Thanks in advance!

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Shuttle:

STL30_lg.jpg
    it has more features & FET amps sound better & are also nearly indestructible

Once upon a time I owned a MB200 & the thing that bugged me about it was that I couldn't get any overdrive out of it.

physics and Little Rock like this.
  3. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I think both are fine heads and I own an MB200. That be being said, if I was in your place, for roughly equal money, and with both amps being in equally good shape, I'd take the Shuttle in a heartbeat for numerous reasons. Good luck with your choice!!

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I own both and my experience is opposite yours. The MB200 has a nice unique "grind" to it at medium-high rehearsal/gig volume while the Shuttle 3.0 is very sterile sounding with no usable OD. The latter is a great practice amp as it will highlight all of your technique issues :wideyed: - and prized by acoustic players for its accuracy.

5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Can't you turn up the input gain with that knob on the far left & get all the O/D you desire?

from the Shuttle 3.0 manual:

upload_2017-7-11_20-21-31.png

Little Rock likes this.
  6. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I had that same impression of the Shuttle when I played one (years ago) and thought it would be a great "clean slate" kind of amp for practice and to add effects to. It reminded me of the crispness/cleanliness I associate with Acoustic Image heads. I also think it's a touch more versatile in voicing options than the MB200, at least it was to my ear.

Little Rock likes this.
  7. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    It's been a while but I remember cranking it 100% with little effect. I think I tried a boost pedal and got some distortion but I think it was unpleasant/unusable.

Little Rock and Killed_by_Death like this.
  8. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Exactly.

Little Rock and Al Kraft like this.
  9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, of course you can. It's not as comprehensive of an overdrive as in the larger Shuttles but works ok for enough players.

10. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    As I implied above I couldn't get my passive basses to OD it. I should give it a go with my active bass (which I didn't have at the time) :) .

Little Rock likes this.
  11. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    That Shuttle 3.0 was very tempting when I played it, but I just wasn't in the market for a new amp that day. I remember thinking how nicely voiced it would be for an acoustic guitar or bass player - and I'm not in a any way suggesting it didn't impress me as a fully capable electric bass head.

Little Rock likes this.
  12. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I've kept mine as my reference amp - I could certainly gig it with something to warm it up in front of it :) but I'm not a fan of clean-for-live these days so not the right amp for me otherwise. YMMV :)

Little Rock and Al Kraft like this.
  13. lpbfender

lpbfender

Jan 7, 2012
    Stamford CT
    I own the Shuttle max 9.2, it's big brother. Nothing but praise and indestructible

14. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    I would pick the genz over the gk without a doubt. But, I guess it depends on what style of music you play as to which may better suit you. They sound nothing alike.

15. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I have both. The shuttle is a higher tier product. They both have advantages over the other but for the same price, the shuttle is the better deal. Plus the designer hangs out here and will service it if needed. (see post # 9)

If you want some hair on your tone, though, the gk has that. The shuttle doesn't do it very easy or pretty, but with it front-ended with something you're golden.

16. trowaclown

trowaclown

Feb 26, 2008
    Untitled_zpsvqwnvlfb.png
    Chiming in here with input from the man himself.

To the OP: My personal experience with the Shuttle has been nothing but positive, but it was ultimately too clean for my taste, and I moved onto an Aguilar Tone Hammer 350. As others have said, it's so clean that you're basically free to colour it whichever way you like it with pedals, so it's versatile that way. And yes, YouTube videos should give you a good idea of how each one sounds.

Little Rock, Al Kraft and RoadRanger like this.
  17. Buzz E

Buzz E

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    This guy gets some grindage from the MB200...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  18. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    That answer makes perfect sense to me based on what I recall when I played that head. Depending on what one plans to do relative to pedals and effects, a head like this can be exceptionally useful. And for those players who simply want a "wire with gain" type of amp, this one is hard to beat for the price,...in fact it's hard to beat period.

Little Rock and RoadRanger like this.
  19. Both are quality products, I love my MB200 but Genz Benz is (was) my favorite micro amp maker. I don't have experience with the smaller Shuttles but the Streamliner is the amp I use when I don't want to haul out an SVT and I've enjoyed my Shuttle 9.0 for many years.

20. trowaclown

trowaclown

Feb 26, 2008
    The Streamliner had tubes though, didn't it? That'd have given it a different vibe from the Shuttle, which the OP is looking at. Such a shame Genz Benz is no longer in existence.

Little Rock likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021