1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK mb800 or Mesa m9 carbine???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dethbass888, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Hey guys, just wanted some opinions on which would be better in the long run. I would really want the Mesa but I don't really want to spend the 1500$ on it, so I looked at the GK which is a little more in my price range. I plan to be pairing either one of these with a traynor tc412 cabinet. I plan on going in and trying these at my local l&m. Just wanted to know if there is any other amps I should try while I'm there in that price range.
    Thanks.

2. There was actually a thread that had mention of both of these heads, in a comparative way. The M9 might have a little more kick to it if your cabs can handle it, but tonally the GK is similar, lighter, and cheaper.

That said check em both out.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

I just got rid of my MB Fusion as I liked how my M9 sounded a bit better. A BIT better.;)

The MB800 has more headroom than the MB Fusion though.

I still think the M9 is crazy loud and definately has more headroom than the MB800.... but IMO, it really should come down to tone, price and maybe weight.

The M9 in Canada is $1599 and the MB800 is $790. Is the M9 twice as good as the MB800? Not IMO. Is the M9 with more than 2x the price of the MB800? Not IMO. Also, weight is a consideration... The M9 isn't crazy heavy but it is a full 2U rack... and a nice Gator/SKB case is over $100 too. A MB800 will fit in my gig bag, the M9 obviously won't.

I DID get a great deal on my new M9 at L&M as the used one I bought died and they replaced it with a new one before the price went up from $1299.... if it did it again I would likely stick with Mesa, but the soon to be released MB Fusion 800 might just be the one.

Whew...

Lastly, Mesa has a 5 year transferrable warranty. No questions asked thru L&M and they take care of everything including shipping charges back to Mesa.

Very lastly, The GK MB series sounds a lot IMO like the M6/M9 tonewise. Try them side by side, I bet you will be suprised.

Good luck, but both are great amps!

4. husky123

husky123

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses and Bergantino Audio Systems
    I've had them both, still have the GK MB8. The above is true. They are similarly voiced heads. I spent some time gigging both and my band members can't really tell the difference (I know that's not saying much). I'd saying the Mesa lead sled slams just a tad harder but let me assure you the MB800 is no slouch. I'd venture to say both a waaaay more than us "normal" gigging bassists would ever need.

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I had both, still have an M9. Yeah it's no micro, but although the MB800 comes close, the M9 clearly wins for warmth/tone IMHO. Maybe it's the tube pre. It also has the musical compression and GEQ. For me the MB800 represented a small compromise. Whether it's worth the extra $$ and weight is a question only you can answer.