1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MBX112 vs Epifani UL110

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Adrian Cho, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Some of you may recall that I did try an MBX112 many years ago with a completely different bass and pickup (Dyn-B). It sounded like a metal box to me back then. However I did then have a chance to try one (a combo) at a shop with a bass that had a Full Circle and it sounded surprisingly good.

Yesterday I got my hands on an MBX112 and tried it with my Focus 2. I'm planning to try it on a gig tonight so I'll probably report further after that. For now...

The MBX112 is not as light as I remember. Comparing it to the UL110, it's very, very hard to believe it is 12 lbs vs 22 lbs. This definitely feels like a different cabinet to what I tried in the past. Seems a lot more solid. I think I recall Marty saying that the UL110 was actually around 19 lbs. It's possible that the MBX112 is heavier than the advertised 12 lbs.

What makes the MBX112 attractive is the weight coupled with the size which is so much less cumbersome to carry than the the UL110 especially while carrying the bass, the Focus and whatever else.

The first thing I notice when I play through the MBX112 is the lack of a tweeter. I think this is the first time I've ever tried a tweeterless cab and it's definitely an acquired taste. Apart from that, the sound is not bad. The attack is softer than the UL110 perhaps because of the tweeter.

More later...

2. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Tried it on a gig last night. Definitely miss having a tweeter. It's harder to cut through a wall of sound. I was playing in a big room full or carpet and people and I had the speaker right up around waist height. Sound was good but definitely missed some of the definition with the UL110 and its tweeter.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Something seems to be strange here. GK lists the weight
    of the MBX112 as 12lbs. They list the weight of the
    MB150E head as 10lbs. The MB150E combo is 27lbs.
    If anything, the combo should weigh less than the separates.
    You might be right about the MBX112 feeling heavier
    than 12lbs.

4. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Interesting. I'll try and weigh the damned thing. At this stage I don't think I'll keep it.

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Not necessarily so due to the extra cab material around the head. But 7lbs is quite a big difference.

6. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    112MBX weighs 8 kgs (17.64 lbs)
    UL110 weighs 10 kgs (22 lbs)
    Focus 2 weighs 2 kgs (4.41 lbs)

The published spec for the 112 MBX from their website is way off. I thought so.

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    For that weight difference, the UL110 is a keeper for me. I'm also looking forward to the Wizzy 10 at 18lbs.

8. +1
    That is why I am always using my MBX112 ONLY like an extension cab for GK 200MB.When the 200MB´s internal speaker is off, I could feel the definition of MBX112 is not enough.When both speakers are running togather I get good sound and of this combo. The GK 200MB itself has a better definition than MBX112, which has rich/different lows instead.