1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gk.. Or Ashdown....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassSurfer, Oct 23, 2006.

1. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I don't trust the "economy lines" in any of the amp companies, not for playing gigs.. Both GK and Ashdown make good amps that'll stand up to hard use and sound good on a gig. The downside is they cost more than those two.

My suggestion- look for a Yorkville Sound XM200T combo for just under $500 US. I've even heard of them going lower. It'll do the job. This is my opinion based on personal experience.

2. yeah! i was looking at that one too!! so it sounds good??? cause that one had me hooked for a while as well..

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I would definetly look used here on the board for something in the $400 range. I'll do some sleuthing and see what I can come up with.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    For new combo amps, I would check out these:

Yorkvill BassMaster XM200

Nemesis N15S

Ampeg BA115

Out of all of these, the front runner in my opinion is the XM200 that is being sold right now at Musicians Friend for only $349 Shipped!!! That is a crazy good deal!!!

5. thanks bro.. you think those can be gigged with a drummer and a guitarist right?

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Your best bet would be that Yorkville XM200. Its 200 watts for $349 shipped. I think that is a limited time sale price at Musicians friend. That is really the best deal in combo amps right this moment.

7. yeah looks good.. ill check that and the used ones here on TB.. thanks again dude.. its just i can borrow my friends GK rig.. but i need my own thing to have as well... for times when they rig aint avail and has a great sound..

8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    As for the Talk bass used gear selection, check this out:

Ampeg B100R Combo

I am in no way affiliated with the seller or this ad. This is just a nice little combo amp for a good price.

9. thanks bro.. ill definitly look into that one.. but the GK and the Ashdown aint that great eh? the yorkville looks great too.. u have any sound or video clips of the yorkville?

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Sorry, I don't own any of those, so I have no clips. The only problem with the GK and the Ashdown stuff that you posted is that it is the absolute bottom line of those two companies. If I had to choose between those two choices however, I would choose the GK Brat Stack. I've owned a GK Backline 250 which is the same as the head in the Brat Stack, just a different logo. I only used it for practice at home with a little 1x10 cab. It sounded great, but I doubt it could handle playing in a band situation. Good luck with your choices. There are plenty of them.

11. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, I've done it. It has a DI out to go to the board if you want when you have decent PA support. It will also handle an extension cabinet if you want the sound to be bigger.

One thing though-I would get the 2-10 model rather than the 1-15. The 2-10 sounds better, punchier and more distinct at a distance.

Great warranty on the Yorkville too, although I doubt you'll need it. They're tough.

12. i think im going to go with the yorkville thanks guys..