1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK vs Ampeg cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gnarkill, Jul 21, 2012.

1. gnarkill

gnarkill

Apr 23, 2011
    Ottumwa, Ia
    I know ill probably take a few lashings from the Ampeg side on this one. I've played on an SVT 4 Pro with an 8-10 for many years now. Last year I got a deal on a GK 1001rb. Cheap head so I figured resell if I didn't like it. Loved it, so I upgraded to a 2001rb. Dilemma now is, 2 Gk 4-10rbh cabs to go with. I'd like two lighter cabs but I'll have to sell the Ampeg rig to be able to buy them. What's the sound comparison between Gk cabs and my 8-10. There are no music stores anywhere close that sell the more expensive gear, so I generally have to research a lot. Thanks

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Per cab, what's your absolute top weight limit?

3. The 410RBH will kick the 810's booty but not much weight savings (96lbs each)?

4. gnarkill

gnarkill

Apr 23, 2011
    Ottumwa, Ia
    I'm not worried about the weight so much. Half the size, even 90lbs as a 4-10 is going to be easier to move than the 8-10 at 165

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes, because a 410 always kicks an 810's booty.

:/

I've used those GK cabs before. They do sound good. Couldn't really tell you how they compare to the 810 because I've never sat them side by side, or played the 4 Pro with anything but Ampeg cabs or played the GK head with anything but GK or Hartke cabs. So I really have nothing to contribute except wondering how Jon thinks any 410 would kick an 810's booty.

6. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    +1

7. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    I think he (Jon) is referring to two 410's....

Could be wrong... it can be read either way. The "96lbs each" comment strongly implies he's referring to more than one 410RBH.

He can speak for himself ;)

8. Because I have played them side by side with the same amp head (a '72 SVT BTW and separately a G-K 800RB, MIM Jazz 5 and a '68 P bass no effects). :) The RBH is just too heavy for me personally.

9. Wait, Im confused. You have a perfectly good 810 right now. Do you not like the sound of your Gk head through the 810? Who says you have to pair any brand or type of cab with any head?

Also if I was looking to save weight on a cab I wouldnt be looking at the RBH's. For the same weight you could have a cab that will kick any 810 to the curb in volume. I'm not suggesting anything in particular, outside of opening you ideas of what cabs "have" to go with particular heads.

10. vegedge

vegedge

Jul 14, 2012
    ampeg 410hlf. 110 pounds its big but packs a big punch

11. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    If you are wanting lighter cabs go with the GK Neos. A couple of 212's or 410's would kill with your RB head. Also it would give you more flexibility since you could use just one cabinet for smaller gigs and both for larger ones.

12. BTW I don't like Getty Lee.......too many people running around with no talent cause he took it all :D

13. +1

With that head you have a ton of options. Two 2 ohm stable amps, that are also bridgeable. You can pair up to 8 cabs if they are all 8 ohms. I think the 212 neo is the best cab GK makes, and you can stack a lot of them up with that head.

14. SVT - 810 Heritage = Awesome
    700rbII - (2) SBX 410 = Awesome
    SVT - (2) Gk SBX 410 = OK not great
    700rbII - 810 Heritage = OK not great

Just my honest opinion - just tried these combinations. Nothing sounds like an SVT through and 810 and nothing sounds like a GK head through GK cabs.

15. BTW - I own and love both of these rigs and consider both Awesome in their own way....just not when mixed and matched. Now...what to do with these Mesa PH cabs??? Lol

16. gnarkill

gnarkill

Apr 23, 2011
    Ottumwa, Ia
    I realize I don't have to pair brands, but I'm not utilizing the horn section of the amp at all without Gk cabs. So that was my first reason to go with Gk. I do like the sound I'm getting, but other reasons would be the ability to only take one cab to practice and keep another home. Just carrying a rack and bass when I go. Other than shows. Small venues as wells just one cab. And the possibility that matched gear might sound even better.