1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK vs. Ashdown ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mulepods, Mar 24, 2006.

1. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    I'm considering buying a budget head and need some advice. I'm looking at the Gallien-Krueger Backline 600 and the Ashdown MAG 300H. Both are 300 watts and cost $299 from MF. I've got an Avatar 15" cabinet and play a Fender Jazz.

Anybody have any experience with these? I'm looking for something reliable (I have gigs coming up) and good tone. My preference for tone is more old-school, not hi-fi.

Thanks!

2. I recently bought a new bass rig, an ashdown abm 500 evoII

i tried it against the GK models, and a few other brands.

the ashdown killed it. GK has a hifi sterile sound to me.

ashdown is a more tube old school sound, which i wanted

ashdown seem to be 'the brand' to get, i've noticed alot of prob bassist using ashdown amps

3. I can't comment on the GK head, but I own the Ashdown Mag300 head (and an EB12-180 combo), and I'm thrilled with it. It's a great warm sound, and plenty of volume. I use it with a Mag410 deep cab.

:hyper:

+1 for the Ashdown gear ;)

4. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Ashdown does what you want! :bassist:
    Don't know about GK though.

5. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    Thanks. Sounds like Ashdown is the better option. Plus the Backline looks a little cheesy IMO.