Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK150S plus SWR Goliath Jr?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by fsanfili, Apr 29, 2005.

1. fsanfili

fsanfili

Feb 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm playing upright in an Americana band with a couple of electric guitar players, and my GK150 isn't cutting through very well. I'm considering getting a 2x10 cabinet for my electric rig anyway, and was wondering if I might be able to kill two birds with one stone. So I'm thinking about getting the SWR Goliath Junior, which is a 350W, 8ohm cabinet with 2 10s and a tweeter.

Does anyone have a similar set-up? Any idea if this will help out? It's about a $500 investment....

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    With the 8 ohm cab, you should be able to get 150 watts from the amp. It will be louder-- you'll have more surface area moving more air. You may want to check out Avatar speakers. Good quality at great prices. (www.avatarspeakers.com).

3. I'm in the same situation as fsanfili -- GK 150 works fine for me except in a 20-piece big band, so this thread is useful for me too. I'm electronically challenged, so I'll add a follow-up question:

if you add the additional speaker cabinet, you've obviously got more speakers, but isn't it still just the same 150 watts from the GK amp -- so why would it be louder? Wouldn't it just be 150 watts divided among four speakers instead of just one speaker? I get the part about more speakers moving more air, but there isn't really any more juice there, right? Or is there?

4. oops--pardon my math mistake. The 2x8 added to the GK 150 would give you three speakers, not four.

5. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I think the GK only puts out about 100watts with the internal speaker (8 ohm load). If you add an 8 ohm cab, you drop the load to 4 ohms-- getting the 150 watts out of it. You both have the MB150 112, right?

6. Right, that's the amp I have. Thanks for the explanation. I may give this a try. I'm assuming the 150 watts would be an improvemetn (volume=wise) over the 100 watts with just the internal speaker.

7. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    I've used 8ohm extension cabinets with my GK 150. Even the inefficient Acme 1B adds a lot of sound.

8. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    The MB150 will be my next purchase-- I've really got gas for one. They don't seem to come up used too often thought. Wonder why? ;)

9. I've noticed that too. It may be that it's such a versatile amp, and it takes up so little space, that people hang on to them even if they go out and buy a new, bigger amp.

10. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Right. I went through the huge rack and giant cab phase. Now that I'm older (and maybe wiser) I don't want to have to lug a bunch of gear around. I'm using and AI Contra for all of my jazz gigs, but would like to have one of the GKs for some rockier settings. I haven't use my bigger rig for quite a while now. (GK 700RB and one or two Avatar CB112s)

11. fsanfili

fsanfili

Feb 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Well, I went ahead and sprung for the SWR Goliath III Jr. In my (wood-floored, acoustically lovely) living room, it immediately made a HUGE improvement in my sound. I've only had one rehearsal with it, in a VERY dead studio, and my experience there was that my highs were still getting eaten up when there's a full band playing. I have a rehearsal in a different place tomorrow night, and I'll let you know how it performs there.

The Golliath JR also adds a lot to my electric setup, which was a Hartke 3500 head going into a 350 W 1 15 Cabinet. So it's been a worthwhile investment, I think. Note that the Goliath singlehandedly negates the biggest advantage of the compact GK 150 -- the Goliath is 55 lbs.! I'm now looking around for a good dolly....

Oh, also at the rehearsal, I tried using a compressor (EBS MultiComp) on the upright for the first time, and that helped me cut through quite a bit. I wouldn't use a compressor on a jazz gig, but in a rock context, it doesn't sound out of place at all.

12. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    The wattage won't make the difference, it will be the increased speaker area. I recall a discussion a few years back in which someone explained that the ear can only distinguish and increase in volume of about 3 dB and you need to double the wattage of your output to get that difference. [I know I am garbling this, but in essence, its the sad fact]. The increased speaker area will spread your sound around more and make it more audible, but the volume won't increase much. :meh: