1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Glenn Hughes Bass rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RUDEONTOUR, Mar 12, 2008.

1. RUDEONTOUR

RUDEONTOUR

Mar 29, 2007
    phoenix,AZ
    I have to know what the rig was that Glenn Hughes was using when Purple played the US Jam in 73. Especially what those huge amps were. Anyone able to help? I have waste so much time looking on google

2. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    You may find some info at this site. This particular link has the equipment lineup from the April 1974 UK tour. http://fanforum.ghpg.net/showthread.php?t=1160 If nothing else, you might be able to post your question there and likely get an answer.

3. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    I can ask Glenn, he just finished doing an LP with a friend of mine
    may take a bit to hear back, any other questions to add on?

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Did you check out YouTube?

There are a lot of videos from 73-74 of DP playing live back then. The amps are very visible.

TD

5. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Hiwatt 200 heads with huge Martin bins. The Hiwatt logo is covered with electrical tape though...
    deep-purple-1.

Apparently the heads were stolen from his house recently, but were recovered.
    hiwattamp0207-1.

Glenn Hughes is my hero, I worship that guy!

6. Glenn Hughes besides being a KILLER BASS PLAYer, is simply one of the ALL TIME BEST SINGERS in the world.

Don't forget Trapeze, Glenn's first band.

7. What happened to Glenns endorsement of Markbass? He is not longer listed as a markbass endorsee.

8. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Indeed sir! And Trapeze is f***king fantastic!!!:bassist:

9. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    And I say this with all due respect, 'cause I love the man...but Glenn is an endorsement whore.

A few from recent memory:

MarkBass
    Digitech
    Manne
    Yamaha (signature model coming soon)
    Ampeg
    King Baby (jewelery & accessories)

And I'm sure I'm forgetting something. But hey, I'd play just about anything if they paid me too!

10. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Jeez, it's unbelievable how people used to use those folded horns onstage for bass. I like it a lot better now with little cabs.

11. RUDEONTOUR

RUDEONTOUR

Mar 29, 2007
    phoenix,AZ
    Thank you very much for your help, it is appreciated, does anyone( this could be asked of glenn aswell) have opinions on these amps? thanks again

12. does anyone know waht wah wah was using?

13. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    My best guess would be a Crybaby back in the day. Currently he uses two Digitech Bass Synth Wahs....

14. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Mar 29, 2008
    I absolutely love the sound on the Deep Purple "Made in Europe" (yea, I read all the stories about that album too). On other live stuff of the 1974 Purple records the bass seems a bit lost in the mix. I never liked the Hiwatts when used for guitar judging from what I have heard from Pete Townshend or Tommy Bolin but John Wetton (as many others from the early 70's too) used them for bass and I liked it. But those Hiwatt users I listened to almost all used a Fender P, I don't have a P and most basses I have are active, so I guess my basses and a Hiwatt DR-103/203 might not fit together that well...

15. Yeah.
    When will he do a US tour? I'd like to see him in Chicago.

Oh, and the Hughes Thrall album is great!