Glock in a stingray?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phishaholik, Dec 28, 2007.

1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Anyone have any thoughts about putting a Glockenklang preamp in a stingray? I'm getting the stingray in the classifieds with the dodgy preamp. If I can't get it to work right I'm going to replace it with something good and I've been itching to try the glock. If not the glock, any other ideas? I've also been thinking about an OBP-3.

Mike

2. purduebass

purduebass \m/ Metal User \m/

Sep 27, 2006
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Endorsing Artist: Chaz Farkass Basses
    I intrigued by the Glockenklang as well. I'm putting one in my 6 string that will be built next year. I'd say give it a shot, at least you will have something unique. Plus, I haven't heard anything bad about them!

3. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I think it would work fine. Really. I have two Vigier basses with Glocks and they just plain work great. Plus I think the Stingray's high would really benefit from the Glock.

4. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    The biggest problem I see with the Glock is the number of knobs. The 3 band has 5 knobs and the 2 band has 4 knobs. I have a 2 band here at home, but haven't put it in the bass yet. I really with the Glock 3 band had a stacked knob, but the treble pot doubles as a passive roll off in passive mode. So, you can't stack it and the volume knob is push/pull for active/passive. May be possible to stack the mid/bass, but I'm not sure what values they use for the pots. It all looks custom built proprietary.

Wait, I was assuming this was a 2 pickup stingray, but could be wrong.

5. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Actually, it's a single humbucker ray. I was just going to remove the blend knob so it would fit. Would the Glock make the ray sound like a ray or would it significantly change the sound of the bass? Tripster, do you think the treble might be too sizzly for a bass with only a bridge pickup? I read the Glock's treble works at a very high frequency.

Mike

6. cool! go for it.

I bet it would sound sweet! keep us posted

7. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I put a glock in a 55-94. It was very bright. If you don't like bright don't put a glock in. IMHO :)

8. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
  9. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    That J-retro sounds about perfect. I was able to fix the preamp on the ray I bought, so I'm going to hold off on getting a new one. The positive wire had just come loose off the battery box. I had the preamp fixed within 15 min. of receiving the bass. Worked out great for me; I got a stingray for around $600 if you don't count shipping costs. I think I'll put the J-retro in a little later. I don't really need a new preamp now, but the description of that preamp sounds like it is exactly what I'm looking for.

Mike

10. I'd get an OEM replacement. Part of what makes a MM a MM is that pre. The Glock's very pristine voicing, extremely high treble shelving start point, etc. would seem to suck the MM out of the MM, similar to the J-Retro sucking the J tone out of J bass to my ears. All good pre's, but not really good for installation in basses that have a very 'signature' tone (like a stock J bass or a MM).

Just IMO of course!

11. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    On the East website they describe their preamp as a reproduction of the original stingray preamp. Would it really make a ray not sound like a ray? Is the J-retro the same for the jazz bass and the ray?

Thanks

Mike

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021