1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Glock Pre in my Warrior! Clips & Pics!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bardley, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Sorry up front for the long post...

So I decided to try a Glockenklang 3-band preamp in my '99 Warrior Studio Plus 5. I love the bass but have never really cared for the stock Bartolini NSTMB pre. It has the Bart X5 pups and they are OK. They are an odd size for replacement so they will stick around for awhile. I really love the clarity of the Glock. With the highs being set at 18k it can really add some sheen without being too harsh. I haven't gotten to play with it much, but I did record some sound clips at work and took pics of the process. I bought the Glock from The Perfect Bass because they had the stack knob version that I needed. I didn't want to drill another hole in the bass. The real difference with the Glock is the EQ is voiced SO much better. I love it so far!

Here's the sound Clips. These are recorded direct into ProTools LE. No processing whatsoever.
    I played a simple pattern so you can hear any differences in tone.

Bartolini NSTMB

Glockenklang 3-band

And Here's the pics:

Warrior Studio Plus 5 before surgery
    Warrior002.
    Warrior001.
    Warrior005.

The Bart Pre installed. Notice how tight all of the wires are. :rollno: They left no slack for anything.
    Warrior007.

I had to extend the pup leads and I went ahead and started shielding the cavity with copper foil.
    Picture004.

Cavity fully shielded with Glock Pre ready to go in.
    Picture009.

The wonderful wiring diagram you get for the Glock. :confused:
    Picture011.

Glock installed and ready to go.
    Picture012.

New Hipshot knobs on to finish it off.
    Picture013.

The only snag I ran into was the cavity cover. I had to route a bit off the inside to thin it out in parts because the circuit boards on the pots were a bit too tall. The cover has never fit perfectly before, but with some slight modification I got it on. I also had to widen two of the holes (the Vol and Bass/Treble stack) just a bit for them to fit. The stacked pot shafts were very small as well and I had to wrap some copper foil around them to bring the thickness up for the Hipshot knob to fit. Other than the issues with the cavity, it was an easy install.

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks....been wondering about these. Nice recorded examples.

3. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I really like it. The sound in an amp is much more pronounced than the recorded examples. The EQ is actually useful on the Glock unlike the Bart. It's given me a much more useful bass with a wide range of tones.

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Typical Bart low mid bump and "cloaked" high end. The Glock is definitely "clearer" with more definition. I dig it.

5. +1:)

6. I also can atest to the Glock pre. I bought one for my Roscoe 6 back a few months ago to replace the Audere. It opened the bass up so much it was unreal. I got mine from TPB also since they were carrying the stacked knob version.

Its funny that you have a warrior b/c I am really interested in them. I am supposed to get my hands on one here in a couple of weeks to try it out.

7. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Sweet! I didn't know there was a stacked 3 band, so I've delayed putting the 2 band that I bought in my bass. I'll pick up the stacked version and swap out my obp-3.

8. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I didn't either until I just ran across it while I was pricing the 2-band on TPB. I had originally looked at bestbassgear but they didn't have the stacked knob.

The more I play with this thing, the more I love it.

9. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    What knobs are you using for the stacked knob? The Hipshot singles fit fine but the stacked pot shafts were too small for the knobs. I had to thicken them up with some copper foil for the knobs to fit.

10. I know when I ordered mine from TPB they only had a few left...maybe four or less. It was a special order that Crashclint had set up. Good luck. You want be disapointed.

11. Yep I used the tape also.

See Crashclints posts below from the Roscoe Forum.

12. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks! I'll look into that.

13. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Thanks for the heads up, just ordered mine!

14. salwendert

salwendert

Jul 7, 2008
    Orange, CA
    National Sales Manager, Tyler Salwender

Hello!

I have recently resolved the issue with the freaky-small post on the push/pull. I now have the correct size knob in black. I would contact the dealer you purchased your OBP from and see if you can grab one from them.

Sorry for the inconvenience with this, Glock recently added the Stacked 3band to the offerings and we did not order the odd-sized knobs when we orders the pre's in.

Yours truly,
    :bassist: