Glockenklang, Carvin or EBS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nemesis, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Nemesis

Apr 24, 2005
    Hi folks,

I`m looking for a new amp. I play fretted and fretless electric bass and want to start double bass in a year or so.

I would be happy if I could read some opinions about which amp suits my "situation" the best.

Thanks a lot.
  2. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I don't know Glockenklang amps but EBS ones are really great!
    If you like Clear hot sounding, check the td650 or the more vintage fafner.
    Bright, drive and comp controls are really intresting. cabs are also high end products, and EBS is my second favorite amp brand.
  3. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I vote Glockenklang as well. They are clear as a bell and very pure sounding. I recently bought a Heart-Rock - the 750 watt head. It's basically a beefed up version of the Soul. The really highlight the different nuances of individual basses. Simply cannot buy better. I really need to post a review soon.
  4. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    When considering the Carvin, go w/the B1500. I use it w/my fretless as well & it sounds great. I'm using the preamp section to record, it's that good. I can't believe how warm it sounds for a solid state amp. The drive knob up around 6 adds alot of harmonic detail. I'm using a DBX160X in the effects loop. You could probably get three of these amps for the price of some of the others mentioned. BP did a review of these heads & gave it a nice thumbs up. ;) :cool:
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you can afford a Glock, you can afford an Aggie. Get the Aguilar DB 750. Or an Eden WT-550.
  6. Those three heads that you put in the thread title are very, very different sounding and that's a very wide range in pricing... from stupid expensive to very inexpensive.

Maybe if you let us know what sound you are going for and what type of music you play. Also, do you regularly switch back and forth among your fretless and fretted, which would suggest a two channel amp, etc.

The EBS stuff is nice... do a search... lot's of comments... I've owned the 350 and 650... and if you are looking for that very quick, very crisp aggressive treble sound, the EBS stuff is awesome.... I would highly recommend the 350 over the 650.... less expensive, smaller, lighter and only slightly less power into a typical 4ohm load.

I've heard a number of comments that the 'affordable' Gock head... I think it's called the Soul... is great sounding but rather underpowered. They seem to have addressed that with the Heart Rock... but it's 3 spaces and weighs a ton.

Make sure you look into other brands.... the Eden550 and Thunderfunk550 are small, powerful, plug and play, not that expensive, and wonderful sounding with fretted and fretless and not bad with DB (I've been told). Also, if you are primarily a fingerstyle player and don't need a lot of 'zing' in your sound... the Acoustic Image stuff, particularly the Focus, is great.... small, light and powerful. The EA IAmp line is very good also, and very appropriate for DB as well as electric. Finally, the Epifani 502 has gotten some great reviews and has two channels, which makes doubling very easy. Of course, if you have enough cash for a Glock, you might also consider the Walter Woods Ultra.... the amp most consider the ultimate doublers amp.

In my opinion, there's very little reason these days to carry around a heavy, three space head like the Aggie 750... but if you like the sound... of course... go for it!
  7. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I am a very satisfied Glockenklang user and am somewhat familiar with the EBS sound - I REALLY prefer the Glock. Carvin is just not in the same league, although it sounds OK for the price. As to power, I'd rate the Glock a little louder than the EBS 350 and a little quieter than the 650.
    IM(not so)HO, there is no better head on the market than the Glockenklang Bass Art, the Rockbass is louder but not as clear and the Soul is nice too. Yes, I've played and listened to Aguilar and a lot of others - the Glock is just better.

Dan K.
  8. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    My vote goes to Glockenklang too. So much warm in a solid state amp, incredible !
    You can also use it with equal results for elec. bass or double bass.
    Most Glock heads have an A/B box built in which will allow you to plug to instruments and match their volume to one an other.

However, EBS is great too but realy not the same sound and also not specialy made for double bass.

My dream would be a Glock for fingerstyle and an EBS for slapping.
    However, Glock works well for slap too.

Carvin is definitly not in the same lag.

Hope this help.

9. And remember kids, JUST SAY carvin bass amplification. Yes, I have owned carvin gear and would not reccomend it based on reliability.
  10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Jeez, that's a huge range of price. Curious how you came up with that list. Are these your only options?

I've never played a Glock, but their rep is for very high fidelity and quality of sound, along with high price. If that rep is true, that head would probably be noticeably above the other two.

EBS stuff sounds good for a number of things IME (e.g., slapping), but it's always struck me as fairly colored, and thus not a good choice if you double on DB.

The Carvin B series head (as distinct from the RedLine) is a head I actually prefer to the EBS. I don't agree with those who would consider it a big step down from EBS (I suspect many of them have not tried this particular head). I have direct experience with this head; to me it is clearer and flatter than the EBS I've tried, and thus *possibly* more usable if you double on DB. And it's well built.

But the amp a lot of doublers love is the Walter Woods. If I played DB, I would look real hard at that one. It's pricy, but I don't think it's all that much more than a Glock, is it? (I'm not that familiar with Glock prices.) If I ever hit the lottery, I'll get one anyway, just because; I can always use it when I double on my ABG.
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I say Glockenklang.

As often as I can.

Not because I've played one, just because it rolls of the tongue so nicely...

...I realy would like to try one, but they're few and far between around here but have a great reputation. I've never heard of anyone not liking their Glockenklang, and without touching one can guess that their well out of the range of a Carvin amp...and I have played a Carvin.
  12. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I woudl go GLock. I had a Heart-Core (the predecessor to the Soul) for about a year. Fantastic amp. Clear accurate precise sound. You will really hear what you and your bass sound like.

The only reason I got rid of it was I fell in love with Trace all-tube amps. Very different sound, I know, but I love the punch of the V6 and V4, etc.

One thing to keep in mind, you will need to make sure you have plenty of room above and below the amp in your rack. These heads can run rather hot and the venting is on the top and bottom panels. I would recommend a 1 or 2 space vented panel above and below the amp in your rack.

They also aren't light, but the tone is well worth it. Best SS heads ever made IMO.

I also would respectfully disagree with Munji on the Aggy/Eden recommendation. Both are killer amps if that's the tone you're looking for, but they are both very colored compared to the Glock.

If you want crystal clear tone, go Glockenklang.

If you want some beef and color added to your tone, go with the DB-750 or go all tube.
  13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I bought an HD-350 and an iAmp350 at the same time, for fretless and EUB situations, figuring I'd keep whichever one I liked better. The EBS was absolutely great for fretless, but not quite realistic enough for my particular EUB. I ultimately ended up with the iAmp 800, ands that works well for me, but I'd maybe consider two amps to optimize your DB sound and your BG ones, depending on what kinds of styles you need to do on BG. If you have a Glock budget, you could easily buy two nice amps of some other flavor instead. I've not played any Glocks, or any recent Carvins, so I'l leave opinions on those to those who know.
  14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Two amps ... that might be the best solution right there.

FWIW, I do the two amp thing too, with some overlap. I use an EA iAMP 500 and an Acme B-2 for my ABG, but it also works fine for lower-volume electric gigs, as I'm not going for a particularly colored sound. I also have a Carvin B1500 and an Acme B-4 for higher-volume electric gigs, but that rig would also work well enough for me tonally if I needed more volume with my ABG (though feedback would no doubt become more of an issue).
  15. Nemesis

Apr 24, 2005
    Thanks for the comments.

Here something about my situation:

I`m playing in jazz/funk/jazz-rock-combo, which is pretty jam-orientated. I play a lot of fingerstyle, but I`m getting more and more into slapping, which I do sometimes. I`m soloing a lot.

Besides this band, I have a "small love" for rock music, which I sometimes play with some friends (more this Satriani- and Vai-sort-of-rock and some death metal).

I also love tapping and after I searched for another band (which I didn`t find), I ended up with the thought, making a solo-bass-programm and playing on weddings (but that`s not sure).

For any recommendations I would be pretty happy.
  16. I this a trick question?
  17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Millennia TD-1 preamp/DI
    Crown MA2402 power amp
    Stewart World 2.1 power amp

[You can thank me later.] :smug:
  18. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have an EBS 350 and a Walter Woods Ultra. I find that I use the Walter for upright and for electric gigs that are more R&B or smooth jazzy...

I tend to use the EBS for everything else. though they are both great amps.

I played a a couple of Sadowsky's yesterday through a DB750 and I really really dug it...the amp that is..wans't crazy about the basses but i digress...
  19. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I have Glock, Bass Artn Head , Eden WT 400, Demeter, Aggie DB 680, SWR and Focus. If you are looking for Electric and Double bass use, I think Glock is the best
  20. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Apples to Oranges to Bananas!! Each sound very different. I looked very hard at the glock, but the price was a little much for me because of the power handling. Extremely hi-fi and musical. GREAT AMP

Carvin has always reminded me of Peavey... great products for the money. Not necessarily the best sound, but a better than most.

Most EBS amps reach maximum power at 2ohms. love the way they sound but I had one before with problems. It was a mess to get repaired. My choice of the 3 would be the glock. As a couple of others mentioned, you've got a wide range and there are alot of amps that may serve your needs better