Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gloss finish options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by salzie, Mar 19, 2006.

1. salzie

salzie

Dec 27, 2005
    NYC
    I have come to the realization that I highly prefer necks with gloss finishes. Right now the two I have with this type of neck are the Geddy Lee Jazz and the Jaguar Baritone Custom. Can anyone weigh in on other basses with this type of finish on the neck? I am particularly interested in the Fender Japan models, but am unsure which ones have the type of gloss finish I am looking for (listed as Gloss Polyurethane on the Fender specifications). Unfortunately pictures of the basses seldom include shots of the back of the neck.

Thanks!

Sal

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

The neck of the EBMM Bongo has a matte-like finish when new, but after some weeks (if you play consistently) it becomes really glossy.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

While I can understand the desire for a gloss finished neck, I find this to be true. Every neck I've ever gotten that was a satin finish, with some serious play time becomes smooth and glossy without the stickiness that gloss finishes, especially nitrocell, are known for.

4. salzie

salzie

Dec 27, 2005
    NYC
    You both definitely have a point about the satin finish getting glossier over time. My G&L L-2000 is definitely glossier than a fresh in the shop bass with a satin finish. I don't find my Fender necks to be sticky actually, perhaps polyurethane is less sticky than nitrocel. Ideally what I would like is something with a gun oil tint, the baritone custom has a nice vintage shading. The G&L GOT necks I've seen are really nice (esp. with Bird's eye).

5. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Just an Idea. Hand rub an oil fininish, You will love the way it feels.Look up on the web how to hand rub oil finish on gunstock using linseed oils.Cheap to do and only improves with time. :bassist: