1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

glue pot dilemma

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jimmyduded, Feb 18, 2008.

1. jimmyduded

jimmyduded

Jun 12, 2007
    cherry hill nj
    Ive been debating in my head wether to get a glue pot or not, Im not sure if I can justify blowing that type of money on something I dont use overly often(my new shop at home only has a bass top as homework from rob). Are there any other methods of heating and keeping hide glue hot?

2. Do a little research on the ol' computer and you will be surprised...i have used a $5 baby bottle warmer for years w. pretty good sucess, glass jars from Old English Cheese w. the snap lid are my choice for small batches, but also check Frank Fords webpage on guitar repair and some where on this forum I saw a link to using a Rival Hot Pot Express for around $12 bucks that Piano techs use w. great success... The Frank Ford site uses small batches in the Microwave. The key is not to get the temp over 145 degrees or else you will weaken the proteins in the glue.
    I'm sure some other luthiers will chime in ...I bought one of those $95.00 pots my first year in biz and it sits and collects dust in my shop..

3. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
  4. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I like that Mark, a baby bottle warmer. :)

I use the Hot Pot Express. The only drawback is the lack of an automatic shut-off if it runs out of water, but its not insurmountable.

5. Even the baby bottle warmer can boil the glue if you are not careful...I use very little water and try to make it just steam or warm, not bubble and boil and I am constantly stirring and not letting the glass jar sit in the warmer...I hold it above the steam and twirl the jar and stir w. a stick. Looking for the stream of honey...Goo, Goo..

6. scotty77

scotty77

Jan 31, 2008
    Victoria, B.C.
    If you haven't done a search on mimf.com, try there. I'm sure they have ideas for making glue pots. To check old posts in the archives, I believe you have to join. But, you can join for freeto start, and then decide whether or not you wish to pay the fee.
    I've heard of a lot of people using the bottle warmers.
    Good luck with it.
    Scott

7. A couple more things ... Baby glass jars can crack under heat [ I've been and done that and Fresh Hide Glue is tough to clean up when its all over something in the shop ] So what do you do w. that Old English Cheese just to get that nice jar that is more heat resistant and fits perfectly in the baby warmer ? The wife makes a simple , delicious Hors-Doover that is Crab Meat mixed w. the cheese spread over English muffins, baked in the oven or under the broiler and cut into bite sized wedges... good around the Holidays. There's a reason for everything...

8. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    Here's the rival hotpot page:
    HTML:
    http://www.spurlocktools.com/id57_hot_hide_glue.htm

9. RCWilliams

RCWilliams Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 23, 2007
    Merriam Kansas (Kansas City)
    owner RC Williams Co. LLC
    we have used hot plates cheap pans and sheet aluminum plates with a pop can sized hole in it that acts as a holder for pop cans which are cut off and tabbed over. when glueing is done just stick the can in the fridge till you need it again, an endless supply of glue cups from the recycle bin. also keeps an easy supply of hot water available for cleanup.

10. If you really want to go cheap, all you need is something to act as a double boiler (which is one container suspended in another container with water in it). It can be as simple as a Coke or Pepsi can. Just cut off the top and drilled 4 holes in the top to stick two straight pieces of clothes hanger across the top. Suspend the can over a sauce pan with water in it and heat it on the kitchen stove.

I'm like Mark Carlson. I bought an expensive glue pots years ago and seldom use it. Most of the time I use a 4oz plastic baby bottle and heat water-saturated glue for 30 seconds in the mircowave.

11. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    That's interesting. I can't quite visualize that. Would you mind taking a picture of that for us?

12. jimmyduded

jimmyduded

Jun 12, 2007
    cherry hill nj
    so many great ideas Im going to have a tough time deciding which method to use, for the price of the glue pot you could try out all of the alternatives haha. Now to another large question, glue...where to get it, who has the best quality, storing it and how to apply it easily(without getting it all over the instrument), the paintbrush seems to work but I was just wondering if theres a more efficient way

13. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Oh and fwiw I still use my old reliable "expensive" glue pot. I'm so used to it I can't imagine not doing it.

14. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Jimmy, if you work in the shop with Bob, then ask him. If he doesn't know then I don't know what to say. I use a small acid brush for applying and wipe off any excess with a damp cloth before clamping. I don't do any restorations here. I just glue a few things as needed like seams or open cracks.

To make it easy, you can take a plastic microwavable drinking cup, double two of them up just in case, mix the glue and water in the cup then nuke it for about 20 seconds. Make just a little more glue than you think you need each time. You don't need a glue pot to use it occasionally. The glue will dry up if left unused. You can always mix more or throw away the excess. Grab 2 more cups and do it again each time.

15. jimmyduded

jimmyduded

Jun 12, 2007
    cherry hill nj
    whats an acid brush?

16. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Acid Brush..

17. jimmyduded

jimmyduded

Jun 12, 2007
    cherry hill nj
    ohhhhhhh, haha i didnt know it had a proper name

18. Matthew Tucker

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Whats so special about an Acid Brush compared with a 20c hoghair brush from the chinese $2 store?

19. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    It tastes better. Chinese one is fishy.

20. Matthew Tucker

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Sort of vinegary? I like vinegar. Yep definitely I'll go for the acid brush then. I can brush glue on my chips ...