Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gmail invites

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by David Wilson, Aug 24, 2004.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, after a long dry period I have 2 gmail invitations to give out.

Next two people to reply here and them pm me their email address for invitation get one.

2. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    ME

...please? :bag:

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    ME

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Me too please!

Edit:
    Man...was only 1 guy before I started typing. You guys are FAST!

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    It took you more than 2 mins to type THAT!!!!!! :D

Sorry dude. :)

Jack.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    all gone!

7. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Thanks Dave!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

8. whats gmail?

9. +1?

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Send it to me.

brad cook

ps - sorry, I just had to be the annoying one.

12. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    It certainly appears that way. Here's an interesting anti-gmail site:

http://gmail-is-too-creepy.com

Tom

13. sounds kind of scary...why is everyone jumping for the chance to get in on it?

14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I can't access the site, and what is really weird, google does not have a cached page for this site.....

Dosen't really affect my one way or the other, I prefer the control of having my own email server. :p

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    What the hell is anti gmail site?

Do people have no life? I think I will waste my time and money registering www.i-hate-yahoomail.com... And how about that hotmail

Anyway... best email is your own domain with your own server :D

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    kserg,

It's a little deeper than just "I don't like G-Mail." This was in all the national news when it first came out that Google would be examing the contents of email sent through their gmail system for advertising purposes. It doesn't sit right with me.

brad cook

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I personally wouldn’t want that... reason I have my own domain and server...:D But some might not care...

Either way... if one doesn’t want that happening, don’t use it:/ if you don’t care then use it:/ like I said... if one wants total security... a nice server and a nice domain name and you are free:D

I just dont see it as something that bother me enought to acctually create a page about it... maybe i am wrong:/

Cheers

18. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, the EFF and other watchdog organizations have been trying very hard to expose the full insidiousness of gmail. Google intends to sell content to advertisers, even though they're trying their best to create a public perception that this won't happen. I can suggest two solutions: one is, encrypt all your e-mail "before it hits the server", and two is, don't communicate with anyone using gmail. Unfortunately, a lot of people will end up choosing the latter solution. I for one do not intend to have my e-mail read and forwarded to advertising and marketing types. Anyone who voluntarily does this is just asking for trouble. Don't say you weren't warned. :)

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well, kserg, if everyone KNEW that then they could make that choice but many people are totally unaware. That's why some have started these websites...just to get the word out so people can make that choice in an informed manner.

brad cook

20. so did google change this or not?