1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Go to war with"...........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Buster Brown, Jul 26, 2012.

1. So, we are playing a rather large outdoor festival here next month and the promoter tells us to bring gear that we "would go to war with".....(whatever the hell that means). Apparently PA support will be somewhat "suspect".

So, I'm thinking to myself, what the hell does his statement mean? *knowing full well what it means :D
    and I immediately come up with THIS in mind....

DSC_0010.

Granted, my Heritage CL isn't pictured, but do you guys think this rig will be "loud" enough????? :D

Which, in turn, made me think, what would YOU guys "go to war" with?? C'mon now, don't be afraid, let's see 'em!!!

2. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    '71 SVT with squareback 8x10 cab. P-Bass with rounds. Piece of foam in my case (just in case I want to mute). Done deal. Bring it.

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Yeah. Does your vocalist have 2000 watts of PA? Bring an extra amp for them to sing through. I see this going well lol.

4. :D

I know what you mean! Naw, it's not quite that bad...I'm sure that they will have AMPLE PA gear...but this guy putting on the show is a tad *new* at this and he is a little "exhuberent". I don't plan on taking any more than (probably) the 610 and the 4Pro, but it DID make me think back to those "bygone" years of 1970-1985.....:D

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Even when I was playing loud back in the early 90's I never needed anything louder than an Ampeg 610HLF and my Trace Elliot AH600 head. I could feel my innards shake.

6. I'm with you there.......I haven't really had any need for the "big boys" together in quite some time, but every now and again I like to wake the neighbors up!! ;)

It's so cool to see them running down the street yelling "EARTHQUAKE"!!!! :D

7. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    ALL OF IT!!!! hahahaahah!!!!! 68 svt- early 70 8-10, 76 V4 with a B-40 cab, and the Musicman 130 with matching 2-10 and 1-15 cab

Attached Files:

8. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    When promoters book gigs with questionable PA, it's time to go to war wit the promoter. ;)

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Micro VR and at least one 210av.

10. BigDaddyO

BigDaddyO Rockin' Ruben

Sep 23, 2007
    It means crappy PA.

11. No B108? :D

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey man, got to make it fair for the other side a little ;)

13. map34157

map34157 Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Burbank, CA
    You need take that 370 out for a spin :)

14. Actually I do. Not as often as I'd like, but every now and again I open her up and let her run. Damn fine amp. ;)

Unfortunately she usually resides in the truck in case of emergency. I will say this, though; for a 40+ year old broad, she got legs!! :D

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    A festival that has a "promoter" will have a "sound company" providing PA for the event. Then again, those 2 functions might be the same guy working out of his garage.:p

I'd try to find out what I could about the PA situation. Otherwise, just bring as many amps and speakers as you care to haul, setup, AND tear down and store during the event. Don't let Mr. Exuberant here talk you into letting other acts bash on your gear.

16. No worries! I've been doing this for more years than I care to remember. We've already checked out the PA situation. More than ample to cover the event. Sound company out of Seattle.

I think what it was is that this "young 'un" just got himself a little carried away by the responsibility. All is good. Hell, I had no intention of carting all this to the festival - not on your life. It just struck me as "funny" when this guy went a little "over the top", if you will. :D

Shoot, if nothing else, it gave me a small opportunity to show off gear!!!

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Alles klar.

Hey, at least he's into it and wants a success for y'all. Probably doesn't understand the backline vs. PA thing, just wants a wall of stacks.:hyper:

18. please don't take this as an insult or me saying that "I know everything", but the show I've played that had the best sound was run by a promoter that used his own PA gear. He also runs a recording studio. Keep in mind though, it's rarely that I even SEE a show with a promoter, let alone half decent sound.

19. That could also mean "Don't bring anything you'll fall into a deep depression if it gets damaged or rained on" :D