1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going into the studio...

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by 3tsb, Nov 1, 2010.

1. 3tsb

3tsb

Nov 17, 2009
    CHICAGO
    Hey Justin. My band has been asked to do a 4 song demo for Universal with one of "their guys". I emailed him to see what he has for DI's and preamps, but, no response. I was thinking to use my Ashdown ABM mic'd, for one channel and my Sansamp BDDI for a slight overdriven channel. When we mic the Ashdown, should I mic my 10's or the 15? Should I run the eq flat or push the mids? I'll be using my Lakland Joe which is passive with the Fralin p-ups. Any suggestions with your experience on what works best with the scenario I've given?

Thanks so much!

-Sean

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    If you're going into the studio, let the tech(s) mic your gear. They presumably have much more knowledge than your typical club engineer and will know instantly what they want to mic or DI. They might even prefer you to go through the SVT head that they almost certainly have on-site.

Let him do his job - he's being contracted by a major label - he knows his stuff. Try to trust him, even if it's hard or your EQ has to be set completely different from what you like.

3. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    I can't recommend anything without standing in front of it. But yes...don't stress on who the engineer is or what he's up to. I truly think that the results will be invariably better if he's left to his own devices, particularly if you don't know each other yet.

Enjoy the recording!
    JMJ