1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Going shopping today

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by kingbrutis, Apr 30, 2009.

1. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I rented a ccb for a few months a while back, to see if I could actually learn it. Had a blast and have been saving. Now I'm gona go check some out today. A few private owners and a couple of shops. I guess I'm lucky that there are quite a few around. Anyway, I'm only 5'5 and have smallish hands. The 3/4was pretty damn big. I'm gona check out a 1/2 Engelhardt. I know there is no market for a 1/2, so I will be with it for a long time, if I buy it. I have been looking for months and still havnt found one set up for agressive slapping. All jazz setups. Better than shopping for a new car or girlfriend.

2. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Engel doesn't make 1/2 size basses. They make 1/4 size though.

Wait until you can find a 3/4 (standard size.) Lotso short guys play 3/4 size basses, you'll be alright. Engels have skinny necks so that could actually help if you have small hands like I do. (IMO)

3. shadygrove

shadygrove

Feb 14, 2008
    Marysville, WA
    +1 on the 3/4 Engelhardt... I played one at a jam a few weeks ago and it was small all the way around compared to my supposedly "3/4 size" that's 73" tall. Very thin neck. I wouldn't expect a person 5'5" tall would have any trouble getting around on it at all... the owner wasn't much taller. I'm 6'3" and with the endpin in I was eye level with the top of the scroll.

Good luck finding a bass and have fun shopping !

4. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Yea, I believe I am going to pick up my new bass tommorow. I'll keep you updated.

5. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    So I ended up buying a carbon fiber Quintus bass, after playing some others. I love it. It should hold up very well. Looks amazing and sounds very nice. I need to amplify it. Thats the next step. Oh and I cant find my weedwhacker strings. GRRRRRR. Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

6. Hi.

Looks great. Congrats.

Regards
    Sam

7. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    TY sir.

8. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Wow, I wish I had one of those! Good stuff, glad you got it.