Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going to see Chris McBride tonight!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by peteroberts, Sep 23, 2004.

1. has anyone seen him on this tour? I was wondering how much electric bass he will be playing vs. upright.

2. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I have no idea how much EB vs URB he's doing - but I'm going Sat night. In fact - I'm gonna have to jet from BassQuake right after Manring plays to get up to Yoshis in time for the 8pm show. It's gonna be a pretty Bass filled day. :bassist:

3. right on...I can't make bassquake :crying:

4. You could go the the 10 oclock show and catch all of BassQuake. I think Myron Dove is bring the Carlos Santa rhythm section with him.

5. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Hey Daniel - that would be ideal but I'm on the guest list with three others for the 8pm show. I may end up staying for the 10pm show too - we'll see - it's gonna be a long day.

6. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    When I saw him, he did about half'n'half. Killer! Check out his drummer Terreon Gully, that guy smokes.

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i saw him on the vertical vision tour and he was great. hes got a good thing going on with his touring group. i was especially impressed by his keyboard player geoff keezer.

8. yes, the keyboardist and the drummer were both KILLER! I liked the keyboardist; they were just getting ready to sit down and someone's pager went off; the keyboardist mimicked it on the piano and everyone got a good laugh! Then later he was fooling with a pedal and it made a shorting noise; he mimicked that on the Rhodes...same notes too!

The drummer's control was superb.

I like Chris on upright better than electric; not to say he's not a good electric player but he really kills on upright.

Catch it if it comes your way! Highly recommended. :D

9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i like his electric playing just as much. he has his own sound and style on electric and doesnt sound like a guy who plays electric on the side.

10. true dat, but for electric I am more of a Richard Bona fan.

11. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Christian killed last nite at Yoshis!

Great set - too short IMO. He only played electric for 1 tune - his version of Walking on The Moon. His musical voice is clearly on upright. I'm not saying he can't play electric - he can - but he didn't look or SOUND anywhere near as good on electric as he does on upright.

Upright was obviously effortless to him - you could tell that any idea he had he could execute instantly without a hint of that "I'm fighting a big old chunk of wood" vibe you get with some of the older cats.

His electric sound was fender fretless (maple fingerboard) with gobs of flange/chorus/wha/envelope filter/delay. I suppose it worked in the spacy "walking on the moon" - but to me it obscurred the actual notes he was playing. He did not play the bassline to WOM himself - it was a synth playing it - he picked out the melody in false harmonics. Mostly they used the tune as a big modal jam. He did an extended solo in it and like I said - I thought the effects obscurred his musicianship and his solo was fairly pentatonic. My wife leaned over in the middle and said - "Peter Frampton". No . . there was no "talkbox", but the cadence and vibe of that classic frampton jam was present.

He used a modest amount of effects on upright (wha,fuzz,delay) they were always tasteful and never hid the notes and clearly added to the overall sound. He's taking jazz into the 21st century.

I bought the albums of his I didn't own and they are great.

Overall - it's clear - Christian is THE man!