Gold Vs. Black: The color question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RestInPieces, Aug 9, 2009.

1. RestInPieces

RestInPieces

Jun 14, 2009
    (Not sure if this is the right forum but...)

About a month ago I bought Squier Affinity P-Bass and now I'm thinking of changing the color of the pickguard and adding a bridge and pickup covers. The pickguard is white and the rest of the bass is blue.

Here's a pic

http://www.guitartrader.com/Images/ProdImage01/250/031-0400-595.jpg

So the question is should I paint the pickguard black or gold. I just can't decide between those two.:crying:

2. It already has a bridge - do you mean a bridge cover, like the "ashtray" from the old Jazz basses? And the pickup already has a cover too (black).

I wouldn't paint the pickguard - just buy a black or gold-plated metal replacement.

3. RestInPieces

RestInPieces

Jun 14, 2009
  4. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    This probably more a "basses" forum question, but no matter.

I say go for a gold pickguard.

5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    x2 on not painting the pickguard. Waste of time on a P-bass - too many options are readily available, both of your choices will be easily found, and you can always go back to white later.

Plus, once you realized that white pearl is the only way to go on that colour bass, you might be able to return or sell the old one - there will be no market for a solidly painted pickguard... :D

6. RestInPieces

RestInPieces

Jun 14, 2009
    Ok I think I'm not going to paint the pickguard. Instead I'll order one with the pickup covers.

I found a nice looking gold anodized pickguard for Fender 57' P-Bass but i'm not sure if it fits. Does the 57' model have the same pickguard as in my Squier. I can tell from the photo that the gold pickguard has less holes than the normal pickguard.

7. Well......
    I hope my case might help you some.

* FIRST....... GOLD
    P_BBNE2_white.jpg

* SECOND..... BLACK
    IMG_0020_small.gif

8. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Big fan of black hardware on natural or all white basses.

Gold is good for a green,red,maybe black finish IMO.

9. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    If you're talking about changing the pickgaurd color only (not the hardware), I'd definitely go gold before black on that bass.

10. bass_snake

bass_snake Inactive

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Gold will look great with blue bass.

Fred

11. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    Black on blue fo sho.

12. isorokko

isorokko

Apr 6, 2009
    Turku, Finland
    I'd go for black on that one.

I just yesterday finished redoing a similar bass, which was actually my first bass back in 2001. I went with black, mostly due to the new finish though ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That'll give you an idea on how the black hw works with the white pg. I've been thinking about putting a black ashtray on it, but haven't decided on that yet. If you ever want to change up the tuners, good luck! I tried to find black tuners in the cloverleaf -style that would fit the small holes on the squier headstock, no luck. Ended up filing the small holes to accomodate larger tuners...

Good luck on the project, what ever you'll end up doing, you'll surely have a great time doing it!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021