1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Goliath II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andii Syckz, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    After many days browsing, emailing & compiling lists of all the speaker suggestions people have made. It's still in an unclear tunnel about which speaker to actually acquire.

I've got an SWR Goliath II 4x10, which i bought 2-3 years ago with one of the speakers frozen (in need of a recone). The obvious replacement is the eminence CA10. I'm wondering if there's another brand out there like celestion, JBL, etc that would make a driver that's also suitable for my Cabinet.

If i had a program i'd see the full specs of my cabs rating - but for those who want to know:

It's 23" x 23" x 18" deep. single tunnel port in the middle of the cab at the back. horn/tweeter in middle of speaker front.

I do like how the original speakers sound, I'm curious if there's another option than eminence if i were to choose a totally different speaker.

P.s. I'm mainly punk oriented, & play with lots of midrange on my amp. But i do dabble in styles ranging from Funk, hard rock, Reggae, etc. My amp is a Peavey Century 120 bass which is a 100 watt solid state bass amp. It's a clean amp & gets me around all styles mentioned here.

EDIT: Cause i posted while at work & it was closing time, i did forget to mention, I have played through various cabinets in the past such as Ashdown ABM, Ampeg HLF & HE (even 810s), Hartke, Gallien Krueger, Trace elliot - all with varying results. & hearing video demos of almost all these cabs, it's pretty tough to tell. Why am i mentioning these brands above? Cause although i enjoyed what they can do, it wasn't the sound in my head for my tone. That's where my SWR comes in & fills that gap - Although finding an old PAS speaker will be quite rare to come by, & although eminence has a replacement; theirs is in line with how the Eden 410s were voiced, where the PAS have a different spectrum of EQ.

The Speakers don't have to be BASS specific, they can be guitar speakers too. I was looking into PA drivers, since Jesse from Death from above 79 has a traynor cab loaded with PA drivers. So any suggestion is welcome, along with an opinion: Pros & cons possibly of said speaker. It's an overtime search, but would be great to have my cab run all 4 speakers since it's only running the 3 still functioning.

Thanks to all!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    svtb15 likes this.