1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Golight: Sealed MM vs. Ported VOLUME

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbasswil, Aug 17, 2012.

1. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Hi all,

I've read all the threads on the two Golight 4x10s variants.

I'm aware that the sealed Marcus Miller one has less low extension, and a bit more mid punch.

But conventional wisdom has it that a sealed cab is generally quieter than an equivalent ported one.

Has anybody done a back-to-back volume comparison? I.e., to confidently assert that the ported GoLight 4x10 has a noticeably greater SPL ability?

Thanks in advance,

- Peter

2. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    I would actually say that the Sealed MM cab is louder. It is a 4 ohm cab so my back to back testing wasn't perfect as it was pulling more power from the amp. But versus say a Genz Benz 4 ohm Uber 410 the Uber is a bit louder.

3. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Thanks Hapa.

I don't actually mean to ask Which is louder, given a similar powered amp driving them.

I mean: Which can be driven louder before bottoming out (using as much power as necessary for each respectively).

4. I think if the voltage was monitored and the power sent to the cab was the same, the ported cab will be louder. The sealed cab controls the low end frequency response. The speakers still move in and out the same amount, but in the sealed cab the sound is contained.

5. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    I'm not actually wondering what SPL a given voltage will drive each to;
    but rather what their respective volume limits are (regardless of what voltage it takes them to get there).

Are you saying that (disregarding low-end extension which gets "contained" or constrained) both versions are capable of the same maximum SPL?

6. In the mid range probably, but you will notice the lack of low end and interpret that as less volume.

7. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    That makes perfect sense to me. Thanks!

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Without complete T/S specs you couldn't model the difference and woukd have to just go by a listening test while monitoring the voltage applied to the speaker.

It would depend on that particular driver/box combination. Some sealed designs will bottom out sooner because the port isn't there calming down the cone motion around the tuning frequency. Other designs, the air trapped in the box can act as enough of a spring or cushion to keep the cones from movint too far. At that point, any additional power applied has to be burned off as heat in the voice coil. It's possible, if everything is just right, you may end up comparing the mechanical failure point of one to the thermal failure point of the other. Not sure how the SWR drivers behave in those designs.

9. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I interpret mids as loudness. I mean I feel as if I get lost in the mix if I don't have good mids. YMMV

10. Loud mids with lows will be interpreted as louder than just loud mids.

11. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    No doubt but I'm talking about the "voice" of the instrument.

12. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    None of this is life-or-death; but it's fun learning to understand speakers. Thanks to all!

- Peter