Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gonzalo Silva

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Petary791, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Anybody heard of this guy? My bass teacher went to school with him. He's a busker, and he's insane. He has a tone a lot like Colonel Claypool and I think he flamenco's as well. It's just him singing and playing bass. It's real cool. I want to get more info on him. He really does love the 7 chord.

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yes, I know him VERY well!!!

He used to be a busker on the streets of Boston and Cambridge, MA! I used to see him for his weekly gig at the Middle east. He played the newyears gig 2000 there, then the next day he left to move to NYC and a week later my girl and I left for ATL.

He used to gig as a duo with this drummer cat, Jason Gardner (I'm actually going up to Boston this week and staying with a guitarist that plays with jason), kinda cool player that does juggl'ing and tons of fun percussive stuff at the same time.

You'll probably find that Bostonians like Brianrost and some others might remember seeing him in any Redline T station.

We both used to have a Hohner headless, except mine is fretless, his was fretted. I miss that cat, interesting bassist.... but more importantly he is a great singer/songwriter... he used to look like a tall thin version of Tony Levin last I saw him 5 years ago...

Small darn world!

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That's sweet! This guys is simply amazing how it's just him singing and playing with no accompniament (sp.) The CD I have is (ironically) called Busker.

EDIT: Yeah I did see on the cover of the CD, he played some sort of headless bass. Does he only play a 4-string?

4. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    for the most part, I think that he is a devout 4-stringer... things could have changed in the last 5 years... who knows. I have mentioned him a couple times on these boards. Funny that there is a thread about him now.

There is another cat in Boston that was doing the same unaccompanied bass with voice parts, Tommy Bianci... He used to have the most humourous way of getting people's attention in the Subways of Boston. Plus he is a smoking bassist.

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Every year for the past few years Tom Bianchi, Gonzalo, and Seth Horan do a show called "Three Men on Bass" that is simply a "must see" event. I've been to two of them. I think I missed this year's show and that dull thudding is the sound of me kicking myself....

Tom's links page with a link to Gonzalo's site. Also check out Tom's main page and his schedule.

6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Oh, Every time I see Gonzalo he is playing the same 4-string headless bass, and I think it is a Hohner. Makes a lot of sense for a guy who travels as light as he does.

7. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yup it definitely makes sense to use that bass, Gonzalo is very much a pragmatic minimalist, efficient... Tom Biachi is really funny in the subway (T) stop at Park street in Boston... He sings this parody off of The Police's "Roxanne":

Park Street!!! Wait for the Redline...
    Park Street!!! Wait for the Redline...

....etc.

:bassist:

8. MrBoynton

MrBoynton

Nov 1, 2013
    Westford, MA
    l love Gonzalo. I saw him almost every week at the Middle East for two years. He's currently working on some new material that I'm very excited to hear. He is one of the most genuine and pure musicians I know. His sound is unique and personal. He is one of my favorites.