1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

good affordable ampeg head/cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnny Steele, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Johnny Steele

Johnny Steele

May 28, 2007
    hey, i swear this will be one of my last threads and thanks to everone who has helped. I have decided i want to buy an ampeg head and cab, but nothing huge and will probably buy it used(dont want to pay over £500). Any suggestions as to whats worth getting head and cab wise? Or will i simply have to spend more money?

2. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    id go with the ampeg svt3 pro. its fantastic, and should be around that price if im correct.

3. Johnny Steele

Johnny Steele

May 28, 2007
    Thanks man, but it seems very expensive everywehre(£700). Are the chepaer ampeg heads any good? Or should i put them out of mnd for now? Maybe a good combo would eb better?

4. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    there are cheaper ampeg heads for sure, that are still good, check out the B2RE.

5. Johnny Steele

Johnny Steele

May 28, 2007
    thanks man your help is much appreicated! Ive found a potentially cheap Ampeg svt350 head on ebay. Looks excellent value. Would you reommend this? I hear good things about it, but it doesnt look like its made any more.

Cheers again.

6. If you look hard enough you might get lucky.

My SVT-II was £500, granted, no cab, but that was one of the best ampegs! :D , you'd have to be lucky tho, the last one i saw go on ebay over here went for £950.

Id look into the B series rack heads.

7. Johnny Steele

Johnny Steele

May 28, 2007
    yeah, thanks they look awesome but a bit out of my price range? Anymore views on this svt350 head? going for a great price it looks.Think it could be a steal?

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    +1 to mohawks SVT-II suggestion.
    If you want a bargain price on a really great used Ampeg, this is definitely one of the models to look for.
    (info)
    http://www.google.com/custom?client...en&q=Ampeg+SVT-II&sitesearch=www.talkbass.com

If you run across a nice used Ampeg V4, V4b or V4BH, give em a good look.
    (info)
    http://www.google.com/custom?client...&hl=en&q=Ampeg+V4&sitesearch=www.talkbass.com

The SVT-350 is a descent head but is more of a entry level model.
    (info)
    http://www.google.com/custom?client...m&hl=en&q=SVT+350&sitesearch=www.talkbass.com

9. Johnny Steele

Johnny Steele

May 28, 2007
    Thanks man, do you mean the svt350 is for beginners? Although im not neccesarlily one (being playing 5 years) i am CLUELESS on amp heads and things. From the sound of it, i thought buying the svt350(looks like its going for under £200) with a cab would be a good low price deal But im starting to think should i just buy a slightly higher range combo as oppose to the lower end head and cabs im looking at. By the way i would save more money but im going back to uni and will have no money AT ALL for a year as im avoiding a student loan! so im just using what money ive saved over the summer.

10. I think you would be better going with an amp and cab setup rather than combo, especially if you are planning on gigging at all?

If you want the SVT350, go for it, under £200 seems pretty low for an ampeg over here.

Id try and spend as much as you can on getting the best amp head you can. As you can get a cheaper speaker cabinet for the time being and upgrade at a later date. You never know, you might like the cheaper cab, my peavey 215 was £75 and is flat our amazing :)

Why not just get a student loan, they are made for getting gear ;)

11. Johnny Steele

Johnny Steele

May 28, 2007
    thanks man awesome advice there! Im jsut wodering what makes this head more beginner orientated? Either way has anyone ever played on an svt350?

12. He isnt saying its a beginner amp, he's saying its more entry level.

Its nothing special, and personally i found it to be quite quiet with an uninspiring sound.

Most of what your paying for with it is the SVT looks and Ampeg logo (IMO).

You might be better off looking at a peavey setup in that price range, and maybe add something like a sansamp BDDI (or the behringer equivilent). I used the peavey + BDDI setup for long enough to get an SVT-esque sound, granted, it isnt the same, but no solid state amp will have the ampeg sound (well what the ampeg sound is to me).

13. Johnny Steele

Johnny Steele

May 28, 2007
    aa cool. do you think the peavey firebass could be a much better selection of head? I hear good things

14. Id say to give it a shot, its a cleaner head. Alot of people seem to scoff at the peavey brand, but the thing is a tank, with lots of power, and its really reliable to. The sound is also pretty good :) .

Only downside is the weight, but, i dont find that a problem, its almost half the weight of my SVT!

15. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I can answer your question. I owned a 350H head for a number of years and used it as a backup. It never failed me once. It is a good SS head and would serve you well. Unfortunately, Ampeg no longer builds these, they have discontinued them in favor of the 450H head. But a good buy, used. Check Ebay. They (the 350H) are on there from time to time and best of luck to you!!

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

I play 3-4 gigs a month including large outdoor ones with zero PA support. My B2RE and 2x10/1x15 Ampeg cab combination is amazing IMO.

17. Johnny Steele

Johnny Steele

May 28, 2007
    Hey im reviving this thread! Again thanks for the help i've learned alot from everyone here and been given some great advice!

The lowdown: It looks like ive won an ampeg b2re(yeeees) for a great price (not sure if it will work in the uk though, its from the US) but if all goes ahead. I just need a cab to play the damn thing through!!!

Just wondering how essential it is that i play through an ampeg cab seeing a si have a head of that brand? would everyone recommend these cabs or could i sound just about as good and get more bang for my buck with a differant, more affordable speaker like a peavey?

cheers for now!Steele

18. You can use any cab rated with an impedence of 4 ohms or more with that amp. Dont worry about brand names, you dont need to match them :) .

The Peavey cabs are pretty good, if you are interested in them, give me a shout.

Seeing you got the amp from the US, it will be rated 110v.

When you get the amp in, DO NOT just plug it in.

You will have to get it modified or use a stepdown transformer.

19. Johnny Steele

Johnny Steele

May 28, 2007
    aa cool man. How much would it be to get it modified?? Also would not having an ampeg cab change the sound noticeably? Or would i still get that nice ampeg tone?

20. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    Wouldn't you just need a transformer for it? Those big black boxes on laptop power cables....I'm sure theres a step-down transformer available somewhere, without having to delve into your new amp head....