1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Bass for $800 or less

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CygnusX, May 29, 2012.

1. CygnusX

CygnusX

May 27, 2012
    Hello all. First time post on talkbass.

I've been playing a cheap Squire J Bass for the past year and I feel like I'm ready for a good quality bass.

That in mind, the Schecter Stargazer 4 and the Schecter Blackjack ATX C-4 have caught my eye. There's no where in town I can go play them (small town, not a lot of options).

Has anyone played these, and how are they?

Next question.
    My friend owns a local music shop that is exclusively a Dean dealer. He says he can get me any Dean bass for pretty cheap (but not dirt cheap, just like $50 bucks off). I've read a mixed bag of good and bad things about Dean basses. I've read a lot more good things about Schecter than Dean.

Next question.
    Bass amps. I'm totally clueless on what a good bass amp is. I'd like a monster of a bass amp. I'm willing to go up to $400, but I'd like to pay less if I could.

Thank you in advance for any insight.

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If you start to consider used, your whole world will open up with all kinds of great choices in that price range. Just to give you some examples:

Stingray
    Sterling
    MIA P
    MIA J
    AVRI P
    AVRI J
    Older Spector/SSD era
    G&L
    And plenty more

A "monster" bass amp for $400? You can find nice stuff that's lower in price, but that's going to be tough. If you spent $1200 total, but split it evenly to give you $600 for a bass amp, I'd go for a GK 800RB/700 RBII and some sort of 4X10. The GK's can be found for $300ish, which leaves you $300ish for a cab.

3. For $800 you can get a nice used USA Fender Jazz or Precision or a used US made G&L.
    I would also look at Carvin basses. $800 will get you a new B40, or if you find a used one you can get one of the SB series for around the same price.

4. Waldo19

Waldo19

Jul 9, 2011
    $800. Shop around and there is no reason why you can't get "the right" bass for you. Heck you can get a very good bass plus a decent mini rig for $800 if you shop around enough.

5. Alrod

Alrod

Apr 7, 2012
    I like you already dude! You will understand what I mean by that once you have been here for a while. I would definitely go used as many here have suggested. More bang for the buck. You may also want to consider a used CIJ Geddy Lee Signature bass. Awesome bass for the money. A used MarkBass LM III is in your price range for just the head though (No Cab).

6. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    Add a used Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn to the list.

7. With a budget of $800, you could get a nice used Lakland as mentioned above or a G&L which when it comes to tone options, you have them all there. Or if you're feeling especially frisky, get that Fender Deluxe Precision that Guitar Centre was plugging for under $800 as somehere on TB got for Memorial Day:

[​IMG]

As far as amps go, I'd say the Gallien Krueger MB112 might be up your alley. Its light enough at approx. 12.5kg (lighter than my current Roland Bass Cube) but has 200 watts at your disposal. I'm getting one soon and can't wait for it. Should be in around $300 for that.

8. thmsjordan

thmsjordan

Jan 10, 2010
    Harrisburg PA and Washington DC
    Eschew Obfuscation
    I agree. Looking in Craigslist you can find a nice AM STD Fender of either flavor, or a G&L -similar pedigree bass. Plenty of options, and you can just shop till you find one you like. If you are patient, you can find some nice used instruments out there. I paid $600 for a mint 04 American Precision, nice bass.

9. CygnusX

CygnusX

May 27, 2012
    Thank you everyone!!!

Ill take all that into consideration while I shop around

10. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    If you are asking about Dean basses....IF you buy a USA DEAN it IS worth the price. Dealers can get a decent price on a Hillsboro....the USA Deans are very underrated, the imports (some) are a mixed bag. Good luck with choice.

11. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    since you've allready been playing the squier jazz you should look into the new squier jazz basses (vintage modified or classiv vibe) they have great reviews and are a nice upgrade from probabaly what you have now,these basses are awesome the quality blows away the MIM fenders,I know I recently scored a vintage modified p bass and its my player now even tho I have higher end basses even a 61 fender P. as for an amp consider a GK mb combo as soon as i get my new GK combo mb 112 which I ordered in march I'll be in 578.00 bass and amp now thats a budget minded deal if I ever heard of one!!

12. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    +1 for the GK MB combos. Nice amps. Lightweight and great sound.

Definitely look used for basses. Much better deals there. US Fenders, Lakland Skylines, Musicman, and many more can be had in that price range if you look around. The classifieds here are a great place to start. Better and safer than dealing on CL or FeeBay, IMO.

13. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    as mentioned above for $800, your door is wide open to what is available to you. You can get, used of course, allot of choices search around and play allot at your music stores in your area, then come back to TB and start searching the classifieds someone here will soon post something your interested in, the after you buy it another couple with pop up in the classifieds that you liked as well and the GAS will soon begin!

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You can get a brand new Brubaker Brute for well within your budget, they are around $600 and completely amazing basses.

15. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    Peavey Cirrus basses are great. You can find a used 4-string for around $700.00.

16. Lakland Skyline 44-01!

17. The Fender Modern Player series can be had for about $500 and feel great, even though they're made in Chinaland

18. tedesco23

tedesco23

May 12, 2010
    Evansville, WI
    You can get a new Ray34 and have some spending money left over. Great value.

19. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Lots of good used basses in your range like Lakland Skylines, Fender MIA, MM Stingrays, G+L’s….
    If used doesn’t float your boat, the new Sterling Ray basses from Music Man are outstanding. I just bought the RAY34CA (Classic Active) and rocks! Perfect setup too.
    Another great bass around 700 bucks is the Carvin B40. They upgraded the pickups on them (SB single coils) and the hardware, everything about them is better.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/b40

:bassist:

20. First time I've been able to join in due to being technologically challenged....anyway, to weigh in here... Sounds to me like you want lots of VOLUME for $400 in an amp, which to me says"Peavey".but be aware, Peaveys are like dating lazy girls...kinda fun at first, but soon ya just want to DO SOMETHING! ...like discover tone. I think I more agree with the " less money on the bass, more money on the rig" scenario.A good used mim jazz can be had for $400 with finageling, and SWR or gk with a 4x10