1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good bass for modding

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by centrefold, May 30, 2011.

1. hey gets I've recently been increasingly interested in getting a 200-350 dollar bass to basically mod.

I'm interested to know some suggestions on basses that are easy to work with for a first time mad scientist like myself.

I'd like to do my own paint on it, change up other little things for fun.

Also any suggestions on things fun to do with them, etc. Like I said I'm brand new to the idea but it seems like something I'd enjoy doing out of the fun of it. I dont think it would be something I'd be using on stage or anything.

Jordan

2. totaldoughnut

totaldoughnut

Apr 30, 2011
  3. PatQ

PatQ

May 11, 2011
    Siegburg, Germany
    I bought a Squier Affinity Precision from eBay and started "aging" it. I'm sure it won't sound better, but it's a lot of fun :)

4. that looks pretty cool man

I would like something more like a decent guitar though that I'd be able to find on craigslist.

**refering to totaldoughnut**

5. I bought a 2nd hand Mexican Fender Jazz years ago, and did mods and upgrades whenever I had saved some money. New tuners, new pickups, new bridge, new pickguard, and a J-retro preamp made it a killer instrument.

6. Well, there you go. Spend a few days searching your local craigs and you're bound to find something interesting. Although...

IMHO, spending over $200 on a bass meant for your first time mod project isn't the best move you could make from a money standpoint. I think you might be better served finding a sub-$150 bass that has decent parts availability, like any Squier Affinity or Epiphone EB series, and go from there.

YMMV, just my 2 cents, IME, etc., etc., of course.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Why not just buy a bass that you like in the first place?

8. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    The SX`s are a great choice for monkeying with. For $350, you can get two of `em, and have $$$ left for parts, paint, etc.

9. For the most part, this makes sense. But once you've got the modding bug, it's hard to shake.

I've built 3 Frankenbasses since the end of 2010 and had a blast working with them. Even though I sold them all for absolutely zero profit, I'm looking forward to doing another one or ten.

10. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    The Squier jazz dlx V is a good bass to mod IMO.

11. not trying to be a dick but dude read the reason I was interested in doing this.

thats really cool with everyones suggestions - I didn't know you could do it on such an inexpensive bass - I just thought maybe you'd have to do it with a slightly more expensive bass. I'll keep my eyes open on craigslist for the suggestions people have given.

12. Pnut what brand is an SX? I'm just looking on c'slist and nothing popped up :p

13. streetknight

streetknight

May 27, 2011
    SX is a brand sold by Rondo music I believe...they're stupid cheap new

14. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    rondomusic.com
    or search 'essex" in the search bar here.

I have had 7 SX basses and modded all but one of them. Then sold them all...
    :bassist: