1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good book for a bad student?

Discussion in 'Ask the Berklee Bass Department' started by spongebob1981, Oct 9, 2013.

1. spongebob1981

spongebob1981

Feb 8, 2009
    Greetings from Argentina!

I'm in my 30's, self taught, have enough gear and job+wife+choir = no time, the usual huh?

My knowledge of music theory and harmony are scarce, yet I find myself a lot of times freely improvising by singing solos or complex bass lines... but only singing them, when there's already a bass player laying the harmony.
    When I pick up the bass I can't make up anything as complex and mainly stick to roots and maybe fifths. (wich are enough sometimes, but I feel I can put a lot more in there!)

So my guess is that I need some theory backing me up.

At the same time, as I stated in the title: I'm a terrible student. I've been at it for 10 years now and it's always the same: 2 hours session once or twice a month, instead of maybe 20 minutes per day wich I guess would be much more enriching.

Do you know any books of bass/music theory (of course, bass oriented would be best) that's oriented to short lessons?

Thanks a lot for reading and helping out fellow players!

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    good book for a bad student = hipster band name

3. spongebob1981

spongebob1981

Feb 8, 2009
    I just learned of a murga from a town next to mine called "Los vecinos re contentos", wich can be roughly translated as "The happy neighbours".

I keep imagining the faces of my own neighbors back then when we used my mom's garage to rehearse until God knows when... :D

A murga is both a music gender and the crew of mixed voices that sing a capella or accompanied, frequently by assorted percussion and in the rhythm of "candombe", typical of Uruguay.
    Here's a sample: http://youtu.be/0vw5EpigY1k?t=1m50s

see ya!

4. spongebob1981

spongebob1981

Feb 8, 2009
    Should I ask this in another forum? :confused:

5. fedenybass

fedenybass Supporting Member

The 'serious eletric bass player' is a great book if you work through it. Also, learn a few licks from dk marlowe on youtube... He'll help u put what's in your head on the bass. Good luck.

6. aparker82

aparker82

Sep 19, 2012
    Georgia
    Bump to the top as I'm interested in this as well.

7. Sandro Scoccia

Sandro Scoccia

Sep 13, 2013
    Spongebob, you already know where part of the problem is.
    You need to find a way to practice constantly, 15/20 minutes every day. No matter what book/method you study, it needs to a daily effort, not a weekly.

If you have idle time in your schedule, like commuting or similar, make yourself some audio tracks with common chord progressions, I | ii |V7 | I | or I | vi | ii7 | V7 | or some minor i |iv|V7|i| and sing/hum the chord tones of the progressions; try first the root positions and then explore the inversions.
    This will give you ideas for when you play your basslines to go beyond roots & 5ths, and also develop how to hear harmony.

I know if you do this for 1 week your basslines over these same progressions will improve much!