1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good bottom string for Flat Chromesteels?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by FidgetStone, Apr 15, 2006.

1. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I am primarily a pizz player that bows at home when everyone else is out of the house. Overall I like the FCSs quite a bit. I especially like the physical feel of the strings. The open A stings sounds a tad metallic to my taste but I am hopeful that it will calm down slightly. This bass, in general, loves D strings. The FCS D sounds great, as have the Obligato and Velvet 180.

Also, I just swapped out tailpiece cords for the $16 Pecanic cord. It gives the strings an overall lower tension feel that I like but the sound difference is negligible if any.

The FCS E string feels great and sounds okay but lacks volume and presence on my set up. The volume is not way out of character for the other strings but is certainly on the low side of what I would prefer.

Please share your thoughts on what you think a good E string would be.

Thanks . . .

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Try a Pirastro Permanent. I've used Permanents with FCS G strings quite a bit. They are a little stiffer, but also will be louder and punchier.

3. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had exactly the same problem with the FCS E, and replaced it with a Spiro orch/red/mittel. It balanced well both in sound and feel, and despite other string changes on the A,D&G since, it is still on there - nicely worn in now and sounding better than ever.

You can't go wrong with this IMNSHO - and it's not an expensive option. You could even save a bit by buying a used one, and then you'll have had someone else play it in for you too. :p

4. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    I used FCS D and G with a Pirastro Jazzer A and E for a while and thought that they blended very nicely. The Jazzer has a little more brightness, growl, and sustain than the FCS, but otherwise has a similar tone on my bass.

5. I share the same opinion!
    The best match methinks.

6. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I put a Spiro mittle orchestra E on the bottom and found that it matches up with the FCSs extremely well. It has a bit more volume than the FCS E and an overall bigger sound on my current set up.

Also, this helps satisfy my two-year curiosity of what Spriros would sound like on my bass. It does have that really cool, post Paul Chambers / early Ron Carter "mwah" sustain down low that fretless BG players can only dream about. The low F is F'in great!

My arco chops are toilet-city so I can't really comment on that aspect just yet.

Finally, I was also afraid that the secret bass police might come after me for owning an upright for two years without having Spiros on it at least once. Since becoming a TalkBass fan over the past three years, I think that there may be an unwritten "Sprio law" on the books somewhere. Maybe one day I'll be one of those guys that says stuff like "I'm thinking about new strings since my Spiros are starting to get a little dull even though they have only been on the bass for six years."

Other comments and experiences still welcome . . .