1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good budget interfaces?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by summerson1, Nov 26, 2018.

1. summerson1

summerson1

Feb 20, 2011
    I just ordered a laptop for general recording uses, so I'm going to be on the lookout for an interface. Looking for cheap but good, doesn't color the tone, and has both 1/4" and xlr inputs so that I can run from the DI out on my GK 700RBII. Thanks!

2. Mcgiver69

Mcgiver69

Sep 28, 2005
    England
    You can't go wrong with Focusrite and if money is really an issue then Behringer Uphoria will serve you well.

GlassToMouth and Misfit Wookiee like this.
  3. MrWolf14

MrWolf14

Jun 28, 2015
    Munich (Germany)
    ^^^ I second the Focusrite recommendation.

A good friend has bought one of the Behringer: they do the job, the preamp is probably not on-par with the Focusrite one (his one did not have enough gain to work with his acoustic guitar) but if you plan on using your amp DI it will not play a big role.

Only one thing: be aware, working in a DAW can be addictive! ;-)

Ciao, Domenico

Misfit Wookiee likes this.
  4. dax21

dax21

Nov 26, 2011
    Serbia
    +1 for the Focusrite stuff, I got a Scarlett solo and it works great, has two inputs (1/4" and an XLR). Latency is unnoticable when running stuff in real time. Been using it for a year now and have no issues, great unit.
    Small advice, look for the 2nd gen line because the outdated first generation had issues with the 1/4" input being very prone to clipping even at low settings. 2nd gen fixed all of that. If you are buying used, the most easiest way of telling them apart is that 2nd gen has a white Focusrite logo on top of the unit, while the first gen has a black logo.

Another potentially useful bit of info is that the Scarlet Solo only has the headphone jack and the RCA outputs on the back. If you want 1/4" line outputs for your monitors or something like that you might want to go for the 2i2 model, the first bigger one.

Misfit Wookiee likes this.
  5. jon Langlois

jon Langlois

Nov 27, 2018
    Check out the Audient stuff, I really like the sound of their preamps.

6. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The Presonus AudioBox is a proven classic.

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  7. summerson1

summerson1

Feb 20, 2011
    That one is carried at my local music shop. How is the software that comes with it? Can you get speaker cab emulation for it?

8. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Really good although I’ve used Reaper for $60. I think it has a speaker cab sim plugin. Pretty standard nowadays.

9. hipass

hipass

Mar 18, 2017
    If clean and clear is what you're really after, then as mentioned the Audient is some of the cleanest pre's getting around.
    Another option is the Apogee, or the Antelope stuff, although I have read Antelope users having some driver issues, but a nice clean pre and a nice sounding converter..
    The Focustrite stuff definitely has a colour, and the converters don't have a lot of head room if we are talking Scarlett series.. Totally workable, don't get me wrong, but not uncoloured imo.

10. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Focusrite Scarlett

11. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    are you going to record a full live band or is this just for tracking bass?