1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good deal for a used Warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LotusCarsLtd52, May 7, 2010.

1. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    A local shop has a used 2008 Warwick Standard Corvette going for about $800 and I want the thing. Couple of questions before I consider making a move though:

1) The control cover on the back of the bass says "Made In Germany" but there's no reference anywhere else on this instrument as to place of origin. Anyone have any ideas? I was a little curious why they'd put the place of origin there and not, say, elsewhere like on the neck or back of the headstock.

2) The body was a dark wood and so was the neck. I know the standards use either Ash or Bubinga...which might the body be? Is the neck likely Wenge? It seemed to accentuate the mids nicely.

3) The neck apparently is a three-piece neck but it appeared that when it was assembled the middle piece of wood wasn't sanded-down all the way...if you feel closely you notice where the middle piece was connected with the two outer pieces. Something to worry about (bad quality?) or not a big deal?

4) What are the controls for? Had two Jazz pups and three knobs but it didn't seem to be standard passive V-V-T. The top knob seemed to be a master volume, the middle knob was "notched" at the mid point and might have been a treble boost/cut, and the bottom knob might have been a tone knob. There was no battery box on the back, just the back route for the controls. What might have all this been for? (but when I think about it now it might have been Master Volume-Pickup Blend-Tone...just a guess though)

5) Is the quality on 2008 Standard Corvettes good? Everything seemed good to me, just wondering.

6) Is $800 a good deal? If not, what price should I try haggling for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This bass, oddly enough, is the exact opposite of what I was looking to upgrade to and what I'm used to because it had a thick neck and was long scale. But I really liked it and feel compelled to pick it up. The sales guy said that they've had it in the store for 3 months and haven't sold it, so should that be a concern? (it's one of those high-end guitar stores where most customers are there to try and those who do buy are likely collectors or hard-core musicians, so they take good care of their gear. The sales guy I spoke with openly admitted they're not Warwick dealers and that he didn't have much knowledge of Warwicks)

2. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Do yourself a HUGE favor and check the classfieds here on TB to get an idea of what these are going for around here.
    I just did a wickedly quick search and I found 2 Corvette Standards going around $550. I dont know if these are exactly the same and what condition the one is in that you're looking at.
    But my very first guess is that their price is definitely at least $200 too high.

3. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Jan 27, 2010
    Canada
    If you had some pics to post, that would help. I realize it's in a shop, so likely not.

The back of the peghead should have a SN. Warwick has a SN database somewhere on their website, and that should tell you where it was made, and the year made.

Build quality on German made Warwicks is good to excellent, IMO.

Knobs should be master vol closest to the neck (which if you pull up turns it into a passive mode), then pickup blend, then possibly a stacked pickup with a bass boost/cut on the bottom, and a treble boost/cut on top. At least that's what mine had. I had an active & passive phase Corvette Standard, others like this may be passive only.

Are you in the US? $800 sounds high, but if you are in Canada, that is close to a fair price for good condition used.

4. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    Physically everything looked and felt fine. The scratches on the back were superficial and nothing to worry over (they were so minuscule they wouldn't even qualify as buckle rash).

Oh and the websites says it's a bubinga body with ovangkol neck and wenge fretboard.

Too bad, I'll have to remember that for next time.

The control cover in the back said "Made In Germany" but I'll take your advice and check the SN against the Warwick database.

The website says that the bass is passive with MEC J/J pups and MEC passive electronics. Which is nice because I wanted passive anyway.

One interesting thing I noticed (likely because I think I had the neck pup on all the way and the bridge off) was that it was somewhat noisy when cranked. It was through an Orange amp and I think the cable had something to do with it (swapped their cable for mine the a lot of the noise went away...still had some left afterwards though).

No, in the US.

5. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

Feb 21, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like that's a bubinga body, ovangkol neck with wenge fretboard. $800 sounds high to me - I bought mine used for $400. A previous poster had the controls right; master volume, pickup blend, and master tone.

6. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    The passive 'Wick tone controls are: Master Vol, Bass, Treble. I scored mine for about $350, great bass, superb quality. It easily gets the most playtime, compared to my Stingray and Jazz. I'd say haggle for at least $600, that's the most I'd pay for a used Corvette. Like I said superb quality, you won't be disappointed.

7. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    I agree. Several Guitar Centers in my area have the same bass for $500. Should I try haggling with these guys? I feel sorta guilty doing so but $300 is really high. Plus I heard that newer Standard Corvettes are now Korean-made so maybe that's why this one is so pricey (seems to be German).

Thoughts?

8. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    /bump it!

9. $800 for a non-wenge Warwick? Not w/o a complimentay *exotic massage*, thank you.

10. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Look like a Ash Wood Body, Ovangkol Neck and Wenge Fingerboard.
    Passive MEC pickup with Volume, Blend and Tone.

It will be most likely a German Made Warwick so no worry about that.

Reason why i know is my corvette is like that ages ago when i bought it, but i convert it to purely active instead.

11. Shmone

Shmone

Feb 16, 2009
    Israel
    If it's indeed made in 2008 than its a Bubinga body, Ovangkol neck (Wenge necks were phased out around 99') and a Wenge fretboard and made in Germany, warwick started producing in korea just recently.
    according to the Warwick website the controls on the passive corvette is volume, pup balance, tone.
    and, like everyone said, 800 for a used passive corvette is high, I've seen the active version go for way less and they are more expensive.

12. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    No need to feel guilty about haggling - they won't do anything that hurts their business and you are free to buy form whomever you please :)

13. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    Any tips though? I've never haggled before but I was thinking of bringing-in print-outs from Used.GuitarCenter.com to show how cheaply they're offered used elsewhere.

14. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    you can show them, but at the end of the day is your choice to buy or not and vice versa, the can knock down price or not is up to them.

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I just got a used Corvette 5 active, (bubinga body, ovankgol neck, which the one you are looking at likely is) on ebay for $460. It needed new strings, a set up (which I did), and one knob ($10). I'd sure never pay anywhere near $800 for a passive 4.

16. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    They said they'd be willing to haggle but not as low as I had mentioned (I told them I found the same model elsewhere for $500 to $600).

What about a used 2003 with the same specs elsewhere for $600? Good deal or still too high? The guy said he's not willing to haggle below this price because it has been there less than 6 months (the first one for $800 has been there three months...hmm, wonder why...)

17. This is normal on a laminated neck with an oil finish or no finish. The pieces of wood expand/contract differently. I highly doubt your neck was like this when it was assembled, it happened over time. Both my Ken Smith and my Dingwall Afterburner had multi-piece necks that were oil finished and you couldn't feel the seams when they were new. After a while my thumb could tell where the laminations joined. Nothing to worry about.

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    As has been mentioned, there are several for sale right here in the classifieds for less. I'd buy one of those.

19. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    /bump

20. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Ask them to offer you a price, or tell them what you're willing to pay. If the numbers don't match, either try again or don't buy it. Not trying to be flippant, just emphasizing to keep it simple - taking a flyer in might just make them tell you to buy it there. The "X factor" is that you don't know what they have sunk into it.