Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good end-pin?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by chipsas, Dec 26, 2005.

1. chipsas

chipsas

Feb 28, 2005
    Europe, Lithuania
    currently i use wooden endpin (ebony) on my Dbass.. and sometimes i have problems , when i need to set height..
    so, i'm interested in endpins right now , and their main differences..
    i've heard about comelopard pins and JT twist (http://www.jrmusicsupply.com/access.html)
    titanium and carbon fiber ???
    can i expect big difference in double bass sound? or there is mainly just a question of Dbass stability and comfort..?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I would recommend getting an endpin with notched stops. Notchless pins are always a PIA somewhere down the road. The difference between a crap endpin and a good one is very noticeable as far as stability and to some extent tone. The difference between a good Gotz and a boutique pin is much more expensive and much more subtle and not worth the bux for me.

3. Chipsas
    I have used wooden end pins made from ebony, dogwood,osage, maple and lignim vitae. All left a great deal to be desired in terms of tone transmission. End pins with indentations are good if the indentations place the bass where you want it to be. Goetz probably makes one of the finer journeyman end pins and at a more reasonable price. However, camelopard makes IMO the most trouble free,tone enhancing, substantial end pin to date. I play pizz predominantly,(they also have a pin for the arco boys) so hollow titanium is the material. The modification that "flatback" suggested should definately be added. The modification is the installment of a KC strings rubber tip to the end of the pin, replacing the crutch tip that comes with it. The woodwork, machining and gold plating are beautiful and perfectly executed, and the threaded brake shoe type post lock have performed for over two years with no trouble.
    My favorite feature is that it does not rattle as even my old Goetz sometimes would. The draw back is that it is too damn expensive, over three hundred bucks. My two cents worth. Good luck in your choice.
    Jim

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    If it's just a height problem like slippage, why not file a small groove in the Ebony Shaft for the screw to lock into?

5. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Comparing notched or notch-less rod + thumbscrew traditional endpins with some of the newer securing strategies is apples and oranges.... The problem with slippage with some of the newer "notchless" carbon fiber rods is a non-issue. The reason is that carbon fiber requires a non-traditional securing method, one that firmly secures the rod around its entire circumference - you can't just use a thumbscrew, it'll eventually destroy the rod. You also can't notch carbon fiber, since that compromises its strength and integrity.

6. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    One of my basses came with a Jean Tabary JT "TWIST" CARBON-FIBER ENDPIN. Unfortunately, the carbon-fiber rod shattered almost immediately and the twist clutch soon failed also. I was not very impressed to say the least. I replaced that endpin with a more conventional one and have had no problems ever since.

7. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    the sturdiest endpin I have ever seen is the bass cellar one, in Cincinnati
    http://www.stringbass.com/endpin2.html

the notches lock like a tank, the rod is as stable as a tank, the tip doesn't slip or get dull (carbide), and the compatible wheel is great too.

8. My luthier supplies ULSA endpins with her setups, and I've been thinking about having her fit my Christopher with one. I've also considered the KC Strings endpin which, I believe, has a composite plug.

Anyone familiar with either of these?