1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Enough

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wrench45us, Apr 27, 2015.

1. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    I have four basses and have gone through over a dozen strings sets to find strings that works well on a particular bass.
    One of the few things I learned along the way was my initial ideas of what strings should work were mostly wrong.
    The G&Ls 5'ers have proved to be the toughest to match up. I'm almost inclined to the think the 3 piece maple necks on my offshore Korean Zons are stiffer than the quartersawn one piece necks on the G&Ls and so easier to find 5 string sets with workable B strings, but I don't know.

Anyway after about a year of fooling around, I'm to the point here there may be 'better' strings and I may have already ordered and received 'better' strings, but I think I'm at the point where what's in place is 'good enough'
    Zon Standard Status GHS Pressure Wounds -- mellow almost sweet tone -- goes a little thumpy in a consistent way up the neck -- in my experience this is very unusual as the B generally goes thumpy before the E, but these stay well matched as just a touch of thumpiness comes along above the 8th fret.

Zon RTK -- this is fast becoming my favorite bass with what I can only assume are pretty aged Dean Markley Blue Steels. great response -- smooth when I play smooth, grit when I dig in. The pickups are no name knockoffs of EMGs, it's not a USA Zon, but what ever it is this thing delivers.

G&L L2500 -- LaBella Quarter rounds -- kind of the natural roll off of the upper end and low end power play -- closest to P bass function in my collection

G&L M2500 -- Dean Markley Helix -- waiting for them to mellow out, but very consistent tone and sustain anywhere on the fretboard which had not been easy to find with this bass. These are exposed cores but long enough for string through so I didn't have to readjust anything. .128 B string which seems to be the 'Goldilocks' spot for this bass -- any fatter and it gets dead and thumpy, any thinner and it's too floppy.

I have sets of nickel plated stings sitting on my table, but at least for now, I'm in no hurry to install them.

shawshank72 likes this.
  2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Sometimes depending on my mood i find this a fun thing to do or its a curse haha.
    But i know what you mean.
    I have a modded squier that the only string to make it sound right were EB flats.
    Went through alot of money and time for that one.

3. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Stingray - Slightly dead nickel wounds or halfwounds (40-95)

PBass #1 - LaBella flats 36-96 (approx.)

PBass #2 - Dunlop Super Brights (40-100)

Hehe :D I've finally got it down to a science

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    shawshank72 likes this.
  4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I always have an active 5er strung with new-ish Fodera light SS rounds for gigs.

Beyond that, my 1974 P is always strung with some kind of flatwound or tapewound string (currently LaBella white copper tapes) and I love Dunlop Super Bright NPS strings on my Ibanez 6er and Fodera 5er.

5. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Pbass - Daddario xl 45-100
    P/J - GHS precision flats 45-105

Might switch something down the road, I have a couple 45-100 sets of long mcquade store brand strings as backups (hey, they're cheap).
    So far I really like these.
    Daddarios keep some hi mid punch but soften up on the highs quickly while remaining gritty.
    Ghs P flats are really mellow and i get a nice punch with both pickups on since the flats keep lots of the low mids, the J really helps with clarity.

6. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    I usually think that the "better" in terms of quality is overhyped. as long as the quality control is good enough to not find faulty strings on one out of two sets :p

some basses need precise strings, for my tastes: for example, I had a Yamaha BB415, nice bass, but a bit "dark" sounding. I thought that the DR Hi Beam could do the job well, being bright and scooped, but they just muddied the bass even more! too much basses, no mids and useless highs (probably those pickups couldn't "read" the highs from the Hi Beams...).
    I then tried a set of Thomastik flats, and the sound changed a lot! those strings are well focused on the mids, clear on the hi-mids and some highs, and without the deep and muddy basses, so the bass sounded full, balanced and with a perfect B string.

right now I'm using the Thomastik Jazz Round on both my basses, because they are the only strings giving me both comfort and sound on both my basses. I'm curious about the sound they can give to a Jazz Bass, because my two basses right now are a Precision and a Mustang :D

7. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I have a buddy who plays these.
    He says at first they are hard to take but after a few weeks they are great.
    I thought they sounded pretty good to my ear as well when he played.