Good Graphite basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassfacekevin, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Hey, I'd just like to say that I'm very impressed with this website. I think that everyone who posts genuinely want to help others out, and not just jeerk people around. Anyway, to the meat of the question:

I'm looking for a bass that has a 35" scale, 5 string graphite neck, and either EMG (preferred) or bartolini pickups with a 3 band eq preamp. Wood type isn't all that important to me, I just want the bass to be fairly light. Also, I am not a huge stickler to body shape either, (Jazz bodies are great, and I love singlecut looks, but I don't think that you can make them with a graphite neck) Playability and tone are very important to me, and I'm not all that hung up on body types (though I do prefer to steer clear of p-bass bodies, they just don't seem to hang well on me) All of this sounds pretty fine and dandy, but the problem is this: I'm a college student, so I'm trying to find this mythological bass for around $1,000... (feel free to laugh) Is there anyone out there who knows where I could find something like this? or should I throw in the towel, and get something else? thanks.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  3. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Maybe a used Zon would suit you also.
  4. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I would really have to suggest either a Modulus Q4 or Q5 or something... or hmmm.. nothing else. I love Modulus basses. I think you should try to get one with barts because I think that the graphite neck really complements them well... not a big fan of EMG + Modulus... theyre more of a Spector thing, imo.
  5. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    A 5-string graphite-necked bass for around $1k will be a tough find. Four options come to mind, in descending order of rarity:

1) an older used Modulus Q5 (as mentioned above), usually equipped with Bart soapbars, I believe
    2) A used Steinberger headless bass (NOT a Steinie Spirit); they usually came with EMGs, IIRC, but possibly not with a 3-band eq. 5-string versions are quite rare.
    3) An older Zon Sonus; they typically are equipped with Bart linear Js but only have a 2-band eq
    4) a used low-level Status (any decent Status is extremely hard to find in the U.S.), though those won't come with name-brand pickups (though the ones that are stock are reputedly very good)

Washburn sells Status-built headless basses with graphite necks for much less than a branded Status, but the electronics are subpar.

Yours is a tall order. Good luck!
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Your definitely going to have to go used. And it is going to be tough to find a used Modulus or Zon for that price.
  7. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's really tough to beat a Zon, but only a few of them have a 35" scale. Most of them are 34".

You will occasionally find a Zon or Modulus for around $1200, but they get snapped up very quickly.

The Peavey G Bass is a good choice. I don't know why they didn't go over better. You can usually get a 5 for under $500.
  9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I forgot all about the Peavey G Bass. If you can find one, that would be your best bet. It wouldn't have Barts or EMG's, but you could always swap them in at a later date if you felt the need.
  10. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    As well as being rare, the 5's in narrow spacing are expensive, and the very rare XL5W is even more so.
    If you're lucky and patient you can get a NT Status 5er for a good price, but the lower level models are usually a BO. The Status/GMTpickups are very good.

They're a maple NT beam not graphite.
  11. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I have a Peavey G5 here. They're pretty much a bargain used, got mine as-new for $450 w/case. Remarkably smooth playing bass and only 9lbs, 4oz. I forget who made the necks for Peavey but they did a nice job.

I thought about changing out the pickups too, but a set of exposed core Rotos breathed a bit more life into it.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Modulus made the necks for the G Bass and the G V Bass.

IIRC, they also make the neck for the B Quad basses as well.
  13. ugh, I've been gassing for one of those soooo bad!

Anyone have any gigs I can play to finance one? :)

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

15. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Peavey G5 is definitely going to be your best bet. I played a 5 string about a year ago and was |this| close to pulling the trigger but couldn't make the numbers work. :(
  16. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    +1. You`ll have the best of both worlds with them. (graphite and wood)
  17. Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    I say look for a used Zon too. You might be able to find a Sonus 519 which has a 35" scale but also wider string spacing. I'm sorry I don't know how much a used one would cost you, as I've not looked for a used one yet. But if you do find one used around $1000, or even if it costs a bit more than that and if you don't mind spending the extra cash, I'd say go for it. I have a Custom 4 on order. Zon's are great!
  18. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
  19. Flea basses are great and can be had for under a grand, but that 35" scale mindset will have to go.
  20. Hey, thanks for all the replies, that sounds great, I've played several modulus' and I think they're excellent. I suppose that my questions now are A) Could anyone point me in the direction of any of these bass deals and B) does anyone know of anyone who would be willing to custom build a bass to the aforementioned specs. for around $1G? I'm not hung up on names, I just want something that plays and sounds excellent