Good idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Geezer Brown, Aug 26, 2013.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Why carry around 3 things, one of them unnecessary, when you can carry around one? That's my line of thought, anyway. Those SVT-300s were cool, but you already have that and the best Ampeg preamp already.

2. Aye, seems like a backwards step, but 1k for the whole rig with 8x10 is still a steal innit?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It's pretty good but the cab is real beat.

4. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

Mar 17, 2011
    Does the sound of the "new" rig feel better than your existing one? It's all about sound, you know.... ;)

5. I'm looking for something a little more aggressive. Will I get that with this rig? And I'm not getting the cab.

6. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    Define more aggressive. What aren't you getting that you'd like to?

That's a steal for that rig assuming it's not in desperate need of a retube though.

7. Grindier/ballsier without distortion (like the effect kind) sounds huge but can cut through the mix.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Eh...you probably can get some more dirt out of that pre, but frankly, I don't like it as much as the pre in the CL.

9. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I'd stick with what you have :)

10. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    I'd just stick with your current good rig. You can buy a Darkglass or a Blowtorch for a 1/3rd of the price that will help you work out all your anger.

11. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    get a gallien krueger fusion 550. that's what you're looking for.

dang if your cab is that beat you should rip off all the tolex and just spray paint it black or whatever color at least.

12. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I'd keep the SVT-CL.

CLs are a b**** to carry to begin with (totally worth it though) but that rack looks way more awkward than the SVT to have to lug around.

13. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    If you can't overdrive the front end of a CL enough to make you happy, buy a damn fuzztone. :eyebrow:

14. I feel dumb.
    My GF bought me a darkglass B7K for my birthday (This is why she's the BEST) and I got on my email and cancelled on the guy immediately.

15. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    That's a pretty sweet deal. Enjoy that pedal. I've heard that they're quite the dirty unit.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Agreed. I love turning up an amp to get power tube distortion, but who can do that with an SVT unless they're playing arenas in a doom band? And if you're going to buy a pre to get distortion, you might as well just get a pedal.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021