1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

good octave?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by asherthemachine, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ha! Yeah - I've found my RC-20 looper to be great for that. I can put it FIRST in my chain (I'd usually run it last for performing) - that way I can fine-tune my effects setup with the exact-same, repeating bass part going through everything!

I had no idea that the SubBlaster was polyphonic! Dang-it! - if I would've known that, I would have looked into them more carefully before I bought my OC-3. I did get to play one briefly once, and the tone was very solid and authoritive!

I only use my OC-3 in poly mode - and while it really does NOT truly "track chords", it does exhibit flawless tracking for even sloppily-played mono stuff. The tone can be strangely nasal-y, and as you go to lower and lower notes, it gets worse, to the point of fairly 'unmusical', I think.

It's the pedal I use least. I bought it 'between bands', and I'm still 'between'. But I'll bet that when I'm gigging again - especially if it's with another three-piece - I'll use it much more often. Playing in its sweet-zone - that'd be like maybe low-A, up to two-octaves up the G-string (That's using the "Guitar"-input; the "Bass"-mode only works up to one octave up the G!) - it really does well-simulate a guitar playing in octave-unison with a bass!

Another problem with it - which I JUST don't get, but I've heard it from others here too - is that it cuts-out a bit when you engage the effect! I dunno what's with dat.

Joe

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The MXR Bass Octave tracks well and sounds good. One thing that will help any of these things is - compressor in front of the Octave. That extra bit of smoothing really helps with the tracking.

I found the Digitech BSW to be kind of uninspiring. It did a couple of things well but nothing as good as the combination of a Bass Balls combined with the bass' Octave. The BSW is one box though. Like most of the multi-effector's I have encountered, it does a bunch of things OK rather than one thing really well.

On the synth topic, the Ibanez is nowhere near as flexible or full featured as the Digitech. It is however a whole lot better in the Env / LPO department. With the freq & resonance turned way down it's very greasy / dubby!

The Ibanez does not do the Octave down thing so I'm using it in conjunction with the Bass Octave as well.

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    There's one thing I forgot to bring up, that I think is important: As far as I know - the classic monophonic, 'binary' down-octavers DON'T in any way 'track' playing dynamics, and the ones called 'poly' DO follow playing dynamics.

Whether any of that is good or not (the non-dynamic kind would be more 'synth'-sounding, I imagine), I'm sure it's an important consideration for some.

Joe

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021