1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

good octave?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by asherthemachine, Oct 22, 2006.

1. asherthemachine

asherthemachine

Sep 22, 2006
    so i need an octave, but which one? ive heard great things about the EH POG, as well as the boss oc-3 and the EBS Octabass. i probably cant spring for the POG, so which would you guys suggest? also, whats the difference between the mutron and Q-Tron? thnx:bassist:

2. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I've had bad tracking issues with the OC-2, dont know if the OC-3 is any better........just my .02

3. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you want a cheap octaver, the DigiTech Bass Synth Wah is the only way to go. It tracks better than the Boss OC-2/OC-3, and supposedly even better than the MXR Bass Octave. The BSW tracks well and sounds good.

Another more expensive option (but still cheaper than a POG) would be a DigiTech Whammy 4. No major tracking issues there either, and gives you loads of pitchshifting/harmonizing options.

-Dash

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    boss = bad tracking.

i've heard nothing but good things about the digitech bsw... as far as octaves are concerned.

i own and love the POG. it was fascinating when i bought it, and it's still fascinating a year later.

haven't heard the octabass, but heard good things.

i've heard that the mutron and the qtron were both designed by the same person (EH actually designed the qtron, but under the guidance of the original mutron designer). i have a qtron+, and the sound is amazing. never tried the mutron personally, but i've heard it's absolutely The Bee's Knees.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Digitech BSW:

Seriously, I barely use the synth effects, but the octave is phenomenal! Plus you've got synth stuff to mess around with.

6. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I use thw BSW but I find the octave very cold, sterile sounding.

7. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Get A 8 string bass? Just an idea

8. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    An idea that will cost you an arm and a leg more than a Digitech BSW? He said he can't spring for the POG, so another bass isn't really the answer :p

9. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I think he wants octave down, not up, 8guy.

-Dash

10. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    save up for the POG, those things are the holy grail of octave pedals. they have options galor. the EBS is probably the simplest octave pedal, plug and play.

the mu-tron and q-tron's are envelope fiter's. different beast. they make the funky effects found on most P-Funk records. Real spacey funk type of effects. I own a Q-Tron+ and love it.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've been happy with the MXR Bass Octave in the past. Sold it because I needed money.

I'd like another, but not before I get a whirl on a POG to see what I'm missing.

That, and I personally thought the Whammy 4 tracked horribly. There was such a delay that drove me nuts.

12. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    i like the good ole oc-2 the best. no tracking problems here. oc3=digital :spit: BSW=digital (but is not bad sounding, i liked it´s octave) shin ei octave=very bad tracking. ebs - did not like the sound that much, didn´t track any better than the oc-2 if you ask me. mxr - i found it to track really bad. POG - i did not find the normal octave down that fantastic, and the rest of the gimmicks it does i have no use for. plus, it´s digital.

pino likes the oc-2, after all.

cheers,
    lowstar

13. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO Inactive

May 4, 2006
    Courtenay, BC, Canada
    I used to have an OC3 and I hated it. It only tracked well from the fifth fret to the llth fret. Above the 5th it sounded horrible and there wasn't much of an effect produced from the 12th fret up. And forget about the open E. Some people seem to not mind these limitatiions but not me. To me if your selling a pedal that produces an octave down it should be able to do that on all the notes not just the middle of the fret board. In my opinion don't waste money and time on the boss octavers.

14. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    +1 Plus it has numerous other uses and is an all round Good Thing.:cool:

15. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I have a POG and was thinking of getting rid of it. I noticed that when it is plugged into my chain, it softens my tone even when it's NOT activated. It really frustrates me. Has anyone else noticed this? I was thinking of getting a loooper just for this pedal to bipass it. If I take it out of my chain, my tone goes back to the great punchy tone I love.

I also find it's sound rather synthetic when activated. I've been playing with the controls (althought I haven't given it enough time to paly with). I just want it to sound like I'm playing the note I'm playing and the octive above or below with what I'm playing. When I engage the pedal, the sound gets metalic or synthetic.

Any thoughts???

16. Eland

Eland

Mar 4, 2004
    Denmark
    Has anyone tried the Ampeg Scrambler?

17. Same here. Rarely use it for anything else. The octave is great. Downside with this pedal for me is the battery life. I can't always have it plugged in and on a battery it gets about 2 hours playtime.

18. thejoey57

thejoey57

Jan 18, 2006
    Ashdown Sub Octave

19. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I'm loving my EBS OctaBass.
    small and easy to use.

20. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    My vote goes to the EBS pedal. If EBS makes the pedal, I support it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021