Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Practice Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jow83, Jun 17, 2005.

1. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey guys. Could someone recoment a good practice combo? I Sold mine along with my first two bases last year to get some cash for a Digi002. My rig LIVES in my bands rehersal studio, so I actually don't have an amp to practice with, it hasn't really bothered my until recently when i started doing a lot more practice.

could anyone recomend a practice combo with good tone, since i won't be gigging with it power isn't really a concern. I was thinking about a Bassman combo or something but i really don't know whats out there. There isn't much places round here to go an check out more then 3 different kinds of combo's at once, but if anyone can recoment a good one ill go and track it down to have a play.

Thanks guys

2. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    should have mentioned i am after a pretty ok quality one that could be used for an alternate sound when recording. Used or new is cool, i jsut need advice.

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I'd look at an Ampeg B-50R, some of the aluminum-cone Hartke combos, or an SWR.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    What about that new-ish Ashdown Mini rig thing? I think it's meant to be a descent price too..

5. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    is the b50r similar to the 100r? i can't find the 50 on their website.

swr might be an option, i dont like hartke tho, i've had a 3500 for a while and am not a fan, its good - just not my thing.

6. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
  7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I've heard reliability issues with Ashdown combos, so beware. Usually its an issue with the speaker...

8. But I suggest a Behringer BX600.

I have never regretted buying mine - it's a 60 watt amp that has a really flexible EQ (and Shape function) - more importantly, it has a nice Direct line out as well as an effects loop, and the amp is LOUD for 60 watts. I actually use it at church (with the PA using the line out). It also sports a CD/tape line in and a headphone jack.

Even more importantly, the 12 inch 100 watt driver is very, very nice for the price. LOTS of low end, with the capacity for a very modern tone when useing the EQ.

Just an excellent value for 150 bucks. When I say loud for 60 watts, I'm not kidding...this combo kicks.

Jay

What it can't do:
    - run an extension cab (I don't know why you would as it would be your practice amp).
    - does not have an XLR direct line out. The line out is 1/4 inch.

9. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    EDIT: Didn't see that you didn't like Hartke... :oops: I love my Kickback 12, FWIW.

I like the Ampeg BA combos as well.

10. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I have been playing through a hartke head for years and had a few problems and never really found a sound i liked that much compared to other amps i have tried.

vice - it don't need to be loud cos i wont be gigging or rehersing with it, its just for home and possible as a b amp for studios (just an alternate sound everynow and then)

what about bassmans? any good or not worth it?

poppin - any idea how much ashdowns go for in australia? i wouldn't mind checking one out.

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmmm, nope. There arn't many of the mini combo's around yet, I don't think. Best to ask your local dealer who sells Ashdown about them.

I've found Ashdown to be reasonably priced over here, and excellent sounding.

12. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    If all you're looking for is something to practice with and not try to get crazy loud, then based on my personal experience, I'd recommend the Peavey MicroBass, Fender Bassman, or even the Tascam CDBTMKII (with headphones).

I own a Microbass and it's not bad for 50 watts. Sometimes I wished it had more power to effectively reproduce my low B, so I played a Fender Bassman 100..very nice, but I didn't want to spend the $ since I was buying a pro rig at the time.

The Tascam is a GREAT practice tool!!!! I can practice anywhere without disturbing anyone, play along with cd's while learning new music, and slow complicated riffs down to hear the notes better. and loop a particular section until I nail the part... a fantastic investment for $150.

13. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I recently had a Peavey Microbass for a very short time and LOVED it. Never should have gotten rid of it. Sounded great for such a small amp.

14. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    +1 for the Ampeg BA series.

I use a BA115 in my practice space, and have used it on small gigs. The only thing I don't like about it there is only a single handle on top, awkward moving it up or down stairs.

15. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Find a used Ampeg B-100R and thank me later.

16. +1 vote for Peavey Microbass

My first amp, and now replaced by my ashdown MAG (because its my live amp). The peavey's being used now, however, because it has a headphone plug and my brother has to study. Great for late-night practise/inspiration also :D

It's a good decent amp for the price, but it lacks the rumble I'm looking for (it only has an 8" speaker, but when you're used to the 15" on the ashdown it sounds a bit thin). And it's peavey, which imho is pretty solid gear. I've tipped it over a few times and it didn't even put so much as a scratch on it.

17. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
  18. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i have a fender bassman 60 that is ok, but it weighs far too much and is a major pain to carry (tilt back design).

19. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    K thanks for the help guys, it sucks that there isn't just like one shop over here i can goto to try them all, so i am going to have to hunt them down.