1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Psychedelic Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ricky P., Oct 6, 2010.

1. Ricky P.

Ricky P.

Sep 23, 2010
    Florida
    Im about to start a band With my Friends and we are gona Play Psychedelic/70's style rock and i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions.I love Effects,I have 3 Pedals,A Fuzz,Processor,and a Wah wah pedal.They are both great.Thanks for your ideas. :)

2. Need2KnowBasses

Need2KnowBasses

Aug 30, 2010
    delay, chorus, flanger, envelope filter

3. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    Delay(s)
    Empress Super Delay (Vintage version).
    - or -
    Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay

Fuzz
    Dwarfcraft Hair of the Dog

Flanger
    Blackout Effectors Whetstone (my fav pedal of all time)

4. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    Big cabs, and tape wounds. Shake the earth, while rooting guitar and keyboard flightiness.

5. split signal, run one line into a fuzz followed by a pigtronix EP-2 envelope phaser, the other into the envelope trigger input of the EP-2.

It gets no more psychedelic than that

st3v3n3aker likes this.
  6. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    +1 to this. If you are all making psychedelik freak-out it will sound messy.

I guess it depends what the other players are doing, as with all styles.

I think though, bass in most 70's psychedelia was just bass and an amp. Big amps!

:bassist:

7. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    use a Boss BF-2 set to max res,depth low rate, manual at 12 o clock, run into a Boss PS-3 set to mode 11, pitch A to unity and B to a 5th up,100% wet. run that into a VFE Echo Ohce set with slow gear clone at medium swell with decent sustain, set the delay side to 100% wet, modulation depth at max, modulation rate at 9 o clock. set the repeat rate at 3 o clock and feedback to about 4 o clock (right before it really self-oscillates)

This to me is the BEST combo for freakouts!

8. what everyone else said
    plus a phaser
    defs need a phaser

9. moog low pass filter
    for filter sweeps or maybe even a wah

10. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    +1

Most of the time, bass in psych rock at that time was really barebones (or am I thinking even further back, in the 60s?). Effects were rarely used, you could make the lines as busy as you wanted, but effects were mainly for guitar and keys.

Nothing wrong with sfx usage though. I think the most common bass effect I hear in psychedelic rock is autowah though.

11. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Phaser.

See Stranglehold.

12. Delay pedals. Self oscillate one/both into a third.

13. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009

Get all these effects.....and more....all at once.... using the Danelectro DDS-1 Sitar Swami.

14. khabalah

khabalah

Aug 3, 2010
    London
    phase & wah

15. Drugs :ninja:.

Seriously though, delay and phaser would my first port of call.

16. khabalah

khabalah

Aug 3, 2010
    London
    i HATE people that take drugs!!!!

customs officers etc

17. bootsy did some very psychedelic solos with fuzz, envelope filter and delay, so you should try that to. also, phasers, chorus, flangers, etc.. If you could find an original roland jet phaser(larry graham pulled insane tones out of that), or even a nice replica, i bet that would work great. in fact i'd love to have one myself..

18. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    :D

19. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Exactly, and yes it was the 60s. Most common effect was the guitar player pounding on the top of his amp that had spring reverb in it. Also a lot of reverse envelope on guitar solos. Phase shifting on drums made an appearance here and there.

Lighting is as essential as music to achieve the full effect. Lots of kaleidoscope looking effects. They used to mix oil with colored water in a clear dish and put it on overhead projectors and then shake it. Tie dyed t-shirts a must and wild bass drum heads. A fun time for sure.

20. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Phaser/flanger and ringmod. Can't get much psychedelic-y than this :D