Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good quality speakers for a new computer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by fenwickbacker, Feb 9, 2006.

1. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    I'm looking at buying a new Apple and would like to get good quality external speakers for it, and not break the bank.

My old system has a harmonkarden w/ subwoofer - they were nothing special but seemed to get the job done, but that was 5-6 years ago.

Anyone have some suggestions? I'm assuming I'd need a system w/ a subwoofer, as I'd like to not skimp on the bass sound. After all, that's the best part right?

I've seen listings by Klipsch, JBL (creature speakers), and HarmonKarden. Many start around $100 - with others upwards of $250+.

Thanks.

2. DaveT

DaveT

Jun 13, 2005
    Herts UK
    I don't know of any computer speakers but its always worth considering running it through the aux bit of your hifi

Maybe im missing something but i have never really bought into the idea of specific computer speakers, i just route my PC through my home stereo.

3. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    I see your point DaveT.

I don't have a hifi stereo system, however. I just use my computer as my stereo, since 99% of what I'm doing is off of CD, or now iTunes/iPod.

So I guess it's not really about computer speakers, but more about speakers I can hook-up to my computer to play CD's, iTunes, etc. I'd like something powerful, bass-y enough, but compact. Long term I'd like to hook my computer up to a "home audio" type speaker configuration, where I can pump music to other rooms in the house, and outside, from my computer.

4. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I use M-Audio powered monitors that I actually bought at the Apple Store for $150. There's no subwoofer, but what you get is accurate sound with tight and present bass. If you want super chest-thumping sub-bass, then a subwoofer is probably in order. But every time I listen to these little monitors, I am impressed. Good recordings sound fabulous through them and bad recording are exposed through them as well. I like listening through regular stereos, but I'm always amazed when I listen through monitors.

PS, Eden is coming out with some monitors that will supposedly deliver some good bass response. Computer speakers made by a bass amp company! What more could you want?

Edit: here's the link http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...QztUi2ET296SgOBrSJYr/1.0.19.1.0.8.25.7.11.0.1

5. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the info telekaster - I checked the link. The nice thing about the monitors is not having to stick a subwoofer on the floor under the desk. While it may give a great bass tone, it's somewhat in the way.

The JBL Creature speakers look cool and have gotten some decent reviews.

6. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I've had the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 for about three years now. Can be had for a little over $100.

Liked 'em enough to buy a second set for the second PC.

7. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    yeah I've heard great things about the Klipsch 2.1 speakers. From what I've read, the older ones sound better than the new "modern/spacey" looking ones. If I was to use the speakers for casual listening I'd look hard at the Klipsch. If you want to dabble in recording too and/or want to do any critical listening, I think the best monitors you can afford would be ideal. The $150 M-Audio speakers I linked are outstanding for the price. I have very little desire to upgrade to better ones. Unless you have a acoustically perfect environment to listen in, then I'm not sure how much good a really high-end set of monitors would do you.

Edit:
    the "good" ones: http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=103
    the "spacey"-looking ones: http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=713

upcoming Eden monitors (how cool are these?!?!) http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/bts/namm/1-06/bts_namm106b.asp

8. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I definitely have the "good" ones, as you called them. Don't know anything about the newer version (although your link refers to those as "currently unavailable" - ??? Maybe they're back to the "good ones"?).

Bonus: There's a headphone jack on one speaker. So if I sit down at the 'puter for any "critical" listening, mixing, etc., they double as a very nice headphone amp for my Senn HD 580's.

9. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I was shopping for speakers quite some time ago, so maybe Klipsch really is back to the "good ones".

As for the headphone output - that's a great point. Either set of speakers listed above has a headphone output. Now the decision is to go with some of the best 2.1 speakers out there (the Klipsch) for an all-around great stereo sound, or to go with some monitors which would most probably be more accurate, but will also probably lack the kind of low-end response that a good subwoofer can deliver.

10. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the input y'all. I may see if my existing harmon/karden's will work on the new computer for a bit. That way I can shop around and actually "listen" to these options at local stores (if I can find them).

The majority of the time I'd be using the new speakers for listening to music, but I plan on doing some garageband recording.

11. logitech 5500's "enough said"