Good Recording basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funkize you, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well, I have never actually recorded with my basses, but have heard that they are both actually pretty good for it. I have:

Lakland 55-01 5 string.
    Peavey Cirrus 6 string.

Any coments on there recorded sound would be helpful! Thanks.
  2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    No imput on either one?
  3. I heard many times that F Basses and nordstrand basses are very good for recording!

Musicman too, easy to mix!

4. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    I havent played either of them man, but i guess if you put some good settings on the bass tone wise it should come out as decent as it can.
  5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well, I was asking about those two cuz I already have them. But I do plan on picking up a Musicman for the studio.
  6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I used my old Peavey Cirrus 6 to record with... It sounded great..
  7. The EQ stuff in Pro-Tools is amazing. I used to believe in "garbage in- garbage out" and that's not necessarily true these days... He was able to make my Thunderbird sound like my G&L and vice versa.
  8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Yea Pro tools is great!

I'd like to not mess with the true sound too much though... But I'd love to take that clicking away from Fieldy.
  9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    passive basses have been more successful (than active) in the studio for me.
  10. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    MTD, LAKLAND, and WARWICKS record great!!
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have recorded a couple of tracks with my Cirrus, and they came out very nice. I can imagine a 55-01 recording nicely too. They have a modern, hifi sound without being overly bright.
  12. im rather interested in seeing how mine will come up in a recording, hopefully this weekend we'll be recording our first origionals...very groovy and catchy so far..our drummer has his own recording studio completely set up in his house..i cant wait to test it, he als has the BBE 383 bass preamp which ill probably be recording through :D ..ill upload the song when we do record
  13. I've recorded several tracks with my Peavey Cirrus.

Cirrus=>Sansamp RBI=>Computer = sweet tone :D

it comes through really nice.
  14. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    IMO opinion, Tobias basses are excellent for recording. The sound is so smooth. Another good bass is a Musicman Sabre.
  15. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    why would a bass be any better recorded then through the amp? not trying to disagree, just wondering
  16. depends on what sound you amp might ad unwanted distorition or whatever than running striaght through a pedal board, preamp or amps are designed to reproduce the instrument....while a common stereo, which the recording will be played through, not the amp, arent designed to reproduce just bass..but the whole its not just a case of better...its a case of how will it record...some basses sound better on "tape" than others
  17. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA

Anything =>Sansamp RBI=>Computer = Shweet
  18. soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    i recorded extensively with a bubinga cirrus. sounded great, except sometimes the low-mids were a bit too aggressive... had to trim around 500-700 a tad bit. Depends on the arrangement, though. It was always pretty effortless with the cirrus, IME, big round fundamentals and cutting through the mix. I'm sure you'll have great luck (and fun) with both the cirrus and lakland. I'd imagine the lakland would be a bit "smoother" but i've never had the pleasure of playing one, so...
  19. soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    by the way, the cirrus went through a sansamp or TLA audio tube mic-pre/DI directly into a protools 888/24.
    the TLA for clean and warm,
    the sansamp for a bit of dirt.
  20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Most of my recording is in many different people's home/hobby studios, but I've also done some big studio Studer 24 track work also.

The best recording bass I've ever ever experienced is a good ol' passive USA Fender Jazz Bass. Plug it in and instant perfect sound. My old Peavey Dyna-Bass also recorded really well, the engineer had never recorded with it and had a familiar "studio" bass (an old Stingray) for me to use, but he ended up loving the sound of the Dyna.