1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good strumming technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ZoSoIV, Aug 20, 2007.

1. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV

Mar 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I find it hard to play multiple strings at once (this is one reason I chose bass over regular). Lately I've hit a Claypool phase (quite literally) and was wondering how you would play this:
    Song is called "Temporary Phase" from the band Sausage

G|----5\----------------5\--3p-------|
    D|----5\----------------5\-(3)-------|
    A|-------------1p-0h-----------------|
    E|-3------3--3-------3---------0-1h--|

One way Ive done it is to pluck the G string with me middle finger and the D string with my index simultaneously. However, is this the "correct" technique? Should I use one finger and quickly strike them both in one motion? Any help appreciated!

PS: Regarding the tab, when it says 5\, slide down to what? the nut?

2. Just J

Just J Guest

Jul 27, 2007
    When I do double stops, I use my index and middle like you say above. I've seen Les strum down with his hand, and I've seen MANY bassists do the technique you mentioned.

Re: the slide, most likely to nowhere, but toward the nut.

3. FloydianAnimal

FloydianAnimal Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Like was said, Les tends to just strum down with a few fingers kind of making a flicking motion that strikes the strings he's hitting. He does this quite often usually alternating between low notes (sometimes slapped) and higher chords. Those Damned Blue Collar Tweekers, Too Many Puppies, John The Fisherman, etc. are all Primus songs where he does this.

That said, I usually either strum like Claypool or pluck the strings using two separate fingers depending on what feels comfortable...

4. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    You might check out his DVD "5 Gallons of Diesel," which contains live video of several of his post-Primus bands. There are lots of good camera shots to see how he does what he does, which indeed is largely strumming.

5. I tend to use the same strumming style that I use on acoustic guitar.. if you've ever seen elliott smith play, it's a lot like that style.

basically strumming with the thumb, index nail, and tip of index. it allows you do get very fast and to control the dynamics of your sound accurately.

it also feels more natural than les' technique because it uses a similar motion to slapping..

Nathan Hughes uses the same technique
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=bXImi2etl7I