1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

good uses for an octave pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kromwarp, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    I have the MXR Bass octave (not the deluxe), but I really haven't found any good uses for it. what do those of you who use octave pedals use them for? Thanks in advance

2. I really need to play up an octave to make it useful. I know that in my current mellow gig, an analog octave is too dominant a sound to fit in without drawing attention away from the whole song. I can use the octave down on my HOG very effectively, though (micro pog could fit your situation better). I like to use them to thicken a part or make a part more funky.

3. pandathe3

pandathe3

Mar 3, 2009
    I own the Boss OC-3. I use the 1 octave below w/ Drive mainly. Very handy for breakdowns or sections to a song thats very bass driven. driven through a decent amp it can make stuff fall of walls :)

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    OP - What kind of music do you play?

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    On my OC-2 I go with a completely wet sound (no "direct level") OCT 1 all the way up and OCT 2 all the way off. Combine it with an envelope and play high up the neck and you can get a great hip hop synthy sound. Add a fuzz in between the octave and the filter for a more aggressive saw wave synthy sound.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    that^.

7. kugelspot

kugelspot

Jun 8, 2009
    Octave up (mixed)- imitate 8 string bass, fill out sound (especially good in a 1 guitar band)
    Octave up (alone)- extends the range of your bass
    Octave down (mixed)- Funky, synthy sounds, also great for soloing (you can keep a "real" bass sound in the mix while you solo to round it out)
    Octave down (alone)- Limited uses, but if you get a pedal with really good tracking (like the Bass Octave Deluxe) you can make SUPER BR00TALZ METAL TONE!!!1!11!!

8. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    paper weight?

9. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I like to mix out the dry signal to get glitchy sounds.

10. to make windows rattle.

11. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    If the section is bass driven, you should not have to use an effect it shoulf\d be driven by bass, not an octave thingy.

Hell, I like the idea of having an Octave Pedal, but when I start thinking about where I would use it, I end up realizing everything sounds better with just good strong bass tone.

12. I just got an Octamizer - my 1st octave pedal. fwiw I feel the same way, like I can totally live w/o it. but I feel that way about most bass fx...

rehearsed w/ one of the bands I'm in tonight and it actually came in pretty handy...we're an original band who throws in a few covers now and then and it was quite handy on Stevie's "I Wish", Neo's "Closer" and this god aweful Justin Timberlake tune we're doing...actually makes that song more comfy, it's in F and it's easier to play up the octave...

13. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
  14. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Besides knocking crap off the wall, it's good for thickening your sound and all the stuff warwick and kugel said. If you go digital and pick a POG(2) or HOG, it's also great for organ emulation, which is what I primarily use my POG2 for.

15. I saw a behringer pedal that does those organ emulations and octave shifts are those also to be used as an octaver ?

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Listen to Will Lee playing I Shot the Sheriff on Hiram Bullock Band's "Manny's Car Wash". That is what an Octave pedal is used for....booty shaking funk!

quilanthegreat likes this.
  17. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I have the Boss OC-2. I use it for home and personal defense. It's solidly made, so I don't worry about it breaking like a standard home-defense brick might do.

18. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    I use octaver for fatter funky tones. I also use it with (before) fuzz.

19. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    Thats pretty much carbon copy what I keep coming up with

20. I use mine to sound awesome.

Oh, that and if you're using a trebley effect it can really thicken up the stew and make you sound nice and bassy