1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good wine to pair with sushi?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lamonica78, Mar 26, 2009.

1. lamonica78

lamonica78

Feb 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    So, I'm taking someone out tonight on a first date. We're going out for sushi and the restaurant is a BYOB. Not much into sake, and though a nice Kirin or Asahi beer is great with sushi, I'd like to be a bit more classy. I've heard that Rieslings and other sweet whites like that are good, but was curious if anyone had any other good recommendations.

Thanks in advance

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Asahi, Sapporo, or my personal favorite, Yebisu.

3. sake is the only wine I drink anyway, so that was my recommendation. Ifthat doesn't float your boat I'd stick to beer.

4. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Japanese don't drink wine (other than sake) with sushi, so why should you?

5. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    go for some sake but don't plan on driving:D

6. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Mmmm, warm sake and cold sushi make me smile. :D

7. sake is a great buzz compared to grape wine I think. I never get sick or hungover, just comfortably numb until I nod off to sleep. Pair that with sushi and you have a winning combo. Why the hatin on it?

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Sake, tea and dry beer ala Sapporo or Kirin really fit better than wine IMHO.
    If you really want to go with wine I'd suggest something not too invasive, with little aftermouth and light perfume.
    A white Cabernet Sauvignon, rosé Listel or Grey Shiraz should do fine.
    If you want to venture into foreign wine (which may be expensive) I'd recommend French dry white wines with stone flavors such as Pouilly Fouissé or Alsace Tokai.

9. :eyebrow:

Sake dude. Seriously.

10. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008
    Try chilled sake.

11. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Or warm sake.

12. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I think it hinges on what you're actually ordering. Sushi in general is pretty broad with several flavors/richness/spicy levels. I would say a dry Riesling or a nice Rose of Sangiovese would both be safe bets.

13. One more from the sake contingent.

14. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Sushi and Sake are designed to compliment each other, but if you really dislike it you might consider going with some Japanese plum wine...It's more like wine as we know it, and its pretty light (albeit a bit sweet)...Don't want to overpower the sushi, which is real subtle.

15. Not to be mean, but wine won't make you seem classy. It will make you seem clueless when it comes to sushi.

As someone who found out the hard way just how cruel sake can be (I was once "encouraged" by a chanting mob to drink more than a liter of it at a street party in Machida, outside Tokyo), I never touch the **** any more. But a good lager (any of those mentioned) goes great with sushi. Yum.

-jb

16. ahkiatt

ahkiatt

Sep 30, 2006
    Singapore
    Sapporo.

17. lamonica78

lamonica78

Feb 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Wow, wasn't expecting so much of a response so quickly. Thanks for the tips and perhaps we'll give sake another shot :)

18. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yep. I've learned that same lesson. Wish I wasn't so stupid. Then it wouldn't have happened four times. I'm such a monkey. :scowl:

19. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Listen to the French guy.

Sake tastes like Thunderbird. :rolleyes:

20. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I've never heard of a BYOB restaurant before. I take it that it's a way not to have to pay for a liqueor licsense?